Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

return line depth in 275 tank

hh409
hh409 Member Posts: 14
at what depth should the return line be inserted in a 275 in basement  tank? i think it is currently inserted about 1/3rd off the bottom of the tank. is the depth critical? am i correct in assuming that it should be deep enough to always be submerged in oil so it won't loose prime? if not is the worst that could happen that the prime will be lost?

thanks

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Why?

Why are you using a 2 pipe system? It only creates high vacuum, and plugs filters sooner. You won't lose prime if it is not down to the bottom. It should be close to the bottom though, especially if it is an underground tank. Sometimes the return line needed to become a feed line.
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Agree with Bill

If it's a basement 275 and the oil burner is lower than the tank , you don't need to pump all that extra oil with a 2 pipe setup . Even if the line is from the top of the tank . And I agree with Bill about the level of both oil lines . You might need to switch the the 2nd line someday if the first line fails .
  • ray hickethier
    ray hickethier Member Posts: 26
    return line depth in 275 tank

I agree with these answers! You do NOT need a return line from a basement tank! But if you insist run feed and return to close to the bottom with the return about 2" higher than the supply.
This discussion has been closed.