Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new hotwater system

wildmangreen
wildmangreen Member Posts: 2
got a charmaster indoor woodfired water boiler and storage tank plus a water to water heat exchanger coming soon...

want to know about hooking this system up to a series of pex radiant heat tubes and a few cast iron radiators...

can anyone tell me what sort of plumbing etc. is involved here?

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Shopping

There's a lot of info required to make the hookups, not to mention technical skill and expertise. You'd do best to find a local pro who knows how to assemble the mechanicals without creating numerous safety hazards.
  • wildmangreen
    wildmangreen Member Posts: 2
    thanks

that was really helpful.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,164
    I am quite sure,

knowing Paul, that he meant no disrespect.  However, unfortunately, he's right.  Without knowing -- quite exactly -- what the heat losses in the spaces to be heated are, how much radiant tubing is involved and how it is arranged, how big the radiators are and where they are located (for example: are they all in the same space?), what the heat output of the boiler is, how tall the building is -- and a host of other factors! -- it would be impossible for anyone to answer your question.

One could start off by simply saying something about at least two pumps, several controls, several powered valves, probably two expansion tanks, etc. etc. -- but that isn't much help either, is it?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Assuming you want to pipe it yourself

I'd still consider hiring an experienced designer.

You could start by reading this http://www.caleffi.us/en_US/caleffi/Details/Magazines/pdf/idronics_10_us.pdf
This discussion has been closed.