Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler vents - I must be missing something

Options
28W
28W Member Posts: 141
Recently, I've driven and biked past two large, multi-story condominium developments under construction. They both have what appear to be gas boiler vents for every unit. Each vent assembly has two pipes, which I assume are intake and exhaust. The pipes are right next to each other, as in maybe 8" to 10" of separation. In addition, they are both at the same height and angle. Here's my question: isn't this a recipe for re-circulation? Or is what I'm seeing dual-intake or dual exhaust?

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Intake and exhaust

for condensing furnaces, perhaps?  Is there a down elbow on one?  Could be installed later...
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Options
    Distance

Distance between supply and exhaust in most cases must be no less than 12". But in new construction usually plumbers and engineers are ignorant in respect of proper boiler installation. So what you see is a least of their heating problems. It is called " builder grade" construction.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Distance between supply and exhaust in most cases must be no less than 12".

Gennady Tsakh said "in most cases". But in one case that I know of, my W-M Ultra 3, they specify the separation between the intake and exhaust, and it is pretty small. They even supply a template and a termination where, I estimate the separation is about 9 inches center-to-center. The idea is to avoid problems of wind shear: they want the wind to not change the pressure difference between the intake and the exhaust, so the blower in the combustion system always sees the same load. And keeping them close together pretty much ensures this.

They list several piping methods. In mine, the exhaust blows straight out, and the intake sort-of sniffs in from the side. But under some wind conditions the intake gets some exhaust for brief periods. This is usually when the system is running modulated all the way down and the exhaust speed is not very high.

In another option, the pipes are close together, but the intake has an elbow pointing down (i suppost to keep rain and snow out) and the exhaust about a foot higher and pointing to the side.
This discussion has been closed.