Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

20+lb garbage disposal in large SS sink?

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
I'm planning on installing a somewhat large single tub 33x22 kitchen sink and am concerned about it supporting a 20+lb insinkerator evolution disposal. I had my eyes on an Elkay sink so contacted their support and was informed the sink is not compatible with the disposer.

Curious on any experiences with this? I'm guessing a single tub 20 gauge 33x22 sink may be a lot weaker than say a 2 tub version but I can't see people buying special sinks for disposers like this? We want a single tub for washing large pans. I'm thinking the sink may work fine and Elkay just doesn't want to be responsible for it.

I was going to go for a Kohler cast iron sink but the wife hates how black shows all of the imperfections and she insists the sink be either stainless or black.
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I think I have that now....

I'll measure it when I get home, but I got the biggest, deepest single bowl undermount sink they had, and put a garbage disposer on it (don't know the weight)

Never had a problem, even with big pots in the sink filled with water.

Been about 6 years now.
    steve
  • ChrisJ
    edited May 2013
    Weird

I really think Elkay is full of it but I have no way to know for sure.

Kohler said every kitchen sink they make will support it no problem at all.

The sinks I'm looking at are top mount so Id think its even less of a concern than bottom mount.

Elkay recommended two sinks in the $600-700 range. Don't get me wrong they are good looking sinks but a bit out of my price range.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Single bowl sinks:

I have lost count of the number of Elkay PSRS 3322 ("S" means single bowl) or LRS3322 sinks in  my career. It is basically the only sink I recommend of you have a 36" sink base. Elkay isn't the only SS sink manufacturer. Kohler has a line. They will all support standard food waste grinders, especially the ISE Evolution series.

IMO, avoid cast iron porcelain sinks like bad hangover. Over time, they will rust under the seal between the counter-top and the sink. The finish will dull, and it can wear off or chip. Depending on the cleaning impulsiveness of your wife. I have seen the finish worn off around the throat from scrubbing with abrasive cleaners. The cast iron sinks aren't very deep. If you are thinking about a double bowl CI, by a 25" single and you will get one bigger bowl than the two smaller double bowls. If you get a 33" sink with the smaller bowl on the left, the larger bowl is the same size as the single bowl sink.

You can get the SS bowls in deeper models but I haven't seen them to be all that useful for the additional price.

I have no idea why Elkay told you what they did. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding. And if you are worried, you can always slide a block of wood or a piece of 3" PVC pipe under the disposal. I've never needed to.

If you are using a composite or stone top, I suggest NOT using under mount bowls. I have seen a large number of them pull away from the counter-top. What a mess.

My opinion only.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited May 2013

Top counter mounted 20# insinkerator

Be aware the larger the disposal the higher the odds of plugging up the sewer line!!
  • ChrisJ
    Sinks and fun

We're highly considering this nice Kohler sink.

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Vault%E2%84%A2-33-x-22-x-9-5-16-top-mount-under-

mount-large-single-bowl-kitchen-sink-with-single-faucet-hole/productDetail/Undermount-Sinks/427698.htm?brandId=651508&skuId=407209&categoryId=651500&hash=id%3Dfilters%26startIndex%3D20%26scrollTop%3D200

Gordy, I thought these 2 and even 3 grind stage Insinkerators were pretty good as far as grinding stuff up enough? The one I bought is an Evolution Essential pro so it only has 2 stages but it seems pretty decent.

I need to pick up a spool of 12-2 NM-B this weekend and run a nice new 20A dedicated circuit for it. Also I'm proud to say our house will have one less S-trap after this project.

Thanks for all of the replies and help!
  • ChrisJ
    edited May 2013
    Opinions on drain piping

So I'm trying to plan my drain piping and wanted the opinions of some pros.  Obviously there are tons of ways to do this but I'm curious what is the smartest?   What will allow for either my self or a plumber to clear a clog if ever necessary?  My thoughts are the cleanout directly below the right drain will allow cleaning of the trap towards the back.

This is what I came up with assuming I have the room.  Sorry the drawing looks like a child did it and it is not to scale but I think it gives an idea.  I'm not sure what effect the bottom horizontal tee will have on flow, for all I know it may cause a clog it self.

All piping I picked is glued PVC except for the tailpieces.  I also bought two traps, one has a cleanout, one doesn't.  Not sure which is better as I'm not sure how useful that cleanout even is.

As always look forward to ALL and any comments and opinions.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    I thought you were getting a single bowl sink

wouldnt that only have one drain?

I don't do plumbing professionally, but have done it in all of my home builds, my mothers, brothers, ect....

First I hate garbage disposals, I have already went down this road, they are just not for me and my family...

But anyway, if you are worried about a leak, install a cleanout tee with a straight shot out... and get traps with drains, I use the sched 40 for everything, none of that flexy or thin wall stuff, a pvc desanco adapter and a fernco rite where the pvc drain comes under in under the sink, so worse case you can detach the fernco and the tail piece and remove the entire assembly as one piece, do your repair in the garage and replace it under the sink....

Also for the garbage disposal install, when I installed my disposal {which is no longer there} in my old home, I had an older large single tub stainless sink, that my licensed plumber employee said was too weak for a disposal, so I put a piece of unistrut under there to hold up the plumbing and take the weight off the sink, screwed it to the wall with rubber mounts and it actually quieted down the entire setup.... But I think the sink would have held it, where is it going, I stood in them things before...

anyway good luck, hope this helps, In my experience kitchen sinks dont clog much {unless you have a disposal, lol},

I have a customer that has a saniflow macerator under his sink, on his small second bowl, that pumps separately, he said he can put chicken bones through that thing, lol...

I did notice these things are getting huge titan makes a 1 1/4hp unit, thats a lot of power for a gd. GE has a 1hp model that suposingly works very well, just do your homework {which it sounds like you are} because they can be heart breakers... you start doing the math, this thing costs $200 last 6 months and they wont cover the warranty because it wasnt installed by a licenced certified tech or what ever they can say to get out of it and it costs you $35 a month for a garbage disposal...
  • ChrisJ
    Dual or single

Yep I wanted a single but the wife changed her mind and we went with a totally different shaped two bowl sink that should work for both of us.

Btw, I put a turkey leg down a disposal in an apartment we had before we moved here. And yep.... it ate it.

Now I probably won't be doing that to mine even though its twice as strong. But chicken bones, absolutely.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    single tub

Two drains? The dishwasher drains into the disposal, by way of an air gap. You don't need the tail-piece adaptor for the dishwasher.
  • ChrisJ
    OOps

Obviously I should have made it clear we switched to a dual tub. I'm sorry, I feel like a dope now.

If we put the disposal on the left side I'd kinda prefer a tailpiece for the drain as the hose comes from the right side and neatness counts. Is there any downside to doing it this way?
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Plumbing forum!

FYI Chris. Dan H posted a plumbing section on this site.  Nice sink BTW. Any thoughts on your faucet?
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • ChrisJ
    edited May 2013
    Updates

Wow a plumbing section!

Dan just keeps making the forum better and better. Kind of amazing being its by far the best forum I've been to for any subject and has been from the start.

The faucet we went with is a Delta 19978-SSSD-DST and it did NOT come from the home depot.

http://www.deltafaucet.com/kitchen/details/19978-sssd-dst.html

You know this all started off like all of my projects. All I wanted was a disposal, then well, while I'm under there why not do a sink too. And then well, with the sink out why not a new faucet. Before you know it I'm broke.

Ugh.
  • heatpro02920
    Chris

thats a home depot exclusive faucet, I would look into that a little closer...

Can you move the disposal to the opposite side of the sink, I would think going into the disposal with the dish washer would be the better way to go...

I take it your pipe comes out of the wall? Its hard to say how to pipe it with out looking under there and holding the parts up to see how it will sit.. Do you have to squeeze a vent in there too?

I know what you mean about the projects, I started just wanting to change the receptacle covers in the kitchen because my wife picked that tin bronze backsplash stuff and the white covers stuck out like sore thumbs, while changing the covers I bent the backsplash in a few spots, so ended up changing the backsplash to copper leaf mosaic tiles, then adding a rubbed bronze foot rest for the bar height counter seating and wrapped the moziac tiles around the front of the seating area, then added another piece of grainite and a long skinny buffet sink with its own faucet, then added the deck mount pot filler, then a fanimation extroaridinair fan, then new stools with a matching bench, and new counter brackets... It turned into a small kitchen remodel in a 4 year old house, and cost us over $5K!!! For stupid light switch covers, NEVER again... From now on, I just ignore my urge to change something and just liver here...

It seems like you are never done with your house....
  • ChrisJ
    edited May 2013
    Home depot

Yeah I noticed it said home depot exclusive, yet I didn't buy it from there so thats kinda funny. Its already ordered so kinda late. I got it from Amazon actually. Can't wait to find out Amazon owns home depot or something funky.

My last project was a bathroom fan. Simple bathroom fan that I started I think in March. Well, we're just about to put the last coat of paint on the walls...... Good news is no more drips from the ceiling or walls after a shower!

I think I'm learning. When I think I know the price of a project simply multiple it by 2 or 3 and that should be about right.

Oh and while running the wire for the disposal circuit my foot went through one of my winder stairs which lead down to the basement. So, now a new set of winder stairs is in order in the near future. I'm sure thats gonna be cheap and easy. :(
  • heatpro02920
    edited May 2013
    Save that old stair

you will need to use it as a template, I had to remake a few stairs in my lifetime, rehabbing old houses when the market was good. You buy the hardwood blanks and glue them together with a biscuit joiner then sand them and stain them and urethane them what a process it is... I once spent over 150 hours fixing stairs in a house, I did the floors and they came so good the stairs look terrible, stated going through them and they were in terrible shape, so I just started over, what I mistake, I should have carpeted that house, lol.... I was younger than and had the drive to perform such actions, now I would just get 3 proposals from local contractors and knock the average price off the cost of the property...

Amazon is easy to return stuff to...

Here is the way you can tell its the "lesser" of delta faucets...

Compare it to the single handle delta Allora, pretty much the same faucet, looks a tiny bit different BUT the Leland costs $198 and the allora is $379, almost double the price!!! I would be careful with the Home depot exclusive notation, they may bust your beans on warranty issues with out a home depot receipt.... Not sure, but I would check it out, faucets are one of them things that can ruin your good intentions... that thing starts dripping after a week and you will be pulling out your hair, they suck to change... especially with all that plumbing you are going to have under there...

just something to think about... Same brand, charging double the price for the same faucet with a tiny bit of a different look.... I'm sure there is more to it than that.... Just trying to warn ya, I have learned the hard way myself..... I went through this with another company then ordered a replacement cartridge and they sent me a ceramic and stainless cartridge vs the plastic one that was in it originally, when I called and asked why they were different, I was told they didn't stock the plastic ones for resale, they were only installed in new units, WEIRD....

Amazon sells what ever can be drop shipped, and sotres items for huge companies so they can ship them directly, so you can buy the HD or Lowes items from them...

Delta is a good comapny and Im sure they will take care of you no matter what, its jsut how much of a pain it will be to get it done...
  • ChrisJ
    Good news

Looking at Delta's site it looks like other faucets which are identical are sold elsewhere.

The main differences are 1 : the finish Arctic stainless vs stainless steel. And the home depot version comes with a soap dispenser. All internal parts are identical, in fact they share the same parts list.

Still seems odd that Amazon is selling it and actually for the same price.
This discussion has been closed.