Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cast iron baseboard

Glen_7
Glen_7 Member Posts: 82
I replaced fin tube baseboard with cast iron baseboard in several formal rooms about two years ago. In that short time I have had two joint failures resulting in leaks. One slow, one bad enough to have done great damage had I not come home when I did. The manufacturer is OCS. Can anyone tell me who else makes CI baseboard? I can get replacements from the same outfit but have concerns for obvious reasons. I was told by my pro that CI baseboard is getting harder to get and the quality of the casting and machining is not what it used to be. Any input appreciated. Tearing it all out and installing radiators is not an option for various reasons and I don't want to go with the modern Runtal type stuff. Thanks.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    leaking ci

where was the leak? if it was from a union nut, then it may have been misaligned during installation.--nbc
  • Glen_7
    Glen_7 Member Posts: 82
    cast iron baseboard

The first leak was apparently at the nipple where the two sections join. The one today appears to be at a section joint as well but it hasn't been taken apart yet. It is either the nipple or a failure of the casting in that area. That zone has been isolated and drained but I need to make a decision going forward as I have a lot of this stuff. The OCS uses nipples for section connections and then a threaded bar with nuts on each end draws the sections together. Again this installation is only two years old. Thank you.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Water quality

Any idea what the pH might be?  How long has this been leaking?
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Can you post a photo?

Photos always help diagnosis. Governale is the brand I use for cast iron baseboard or I get old baseboard from a good radiator dealer.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • tom3holer
    tom3holer Member Posts: 45
    Burnham

Burnham still makes cast iron baseboard I believe.

Tom
This discussion has been closed.