Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Had my first GL4 fail tonight, oh boy...

heatpro02920
heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
I just got back from a service call, leaking hot water system I installed {professionally and perfect, I might add, lol}, Its a rinnai Tankless {not leaking} but the GL4 I use on the recirc systems is dripping, I through another one in {it took 20 minutes, I use unions on my installs}...

I believe it is about 5 years old, {has 8yr warranty so it won't cost customer anything}... but kind of a pain in the @ss on a Friday night... The circ is a ss009 that is ran by the rinnai units timer, I normally do the with aquastats but I did a few with timers, I wonder if this had something to do with it failing so soon....

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Good luck....

trying to get Bosch to pay out on the warranty. They want you to change out/check the anode on a near yearly basis. If you don't/haven't ...they will walk away. Not impressed w/ them on this account.
  • heatpro02920
    edited May 2013
    Oh, dont say that...

This unit was maintained well, no reason for it to had failed after 5 years {was told it may be 6, but not 8}, I haven't talked to my bosch rep in a while, but I will be going to the supply house personally Monday, and have them swap it out, "off of my account" so it looks like a stranger walked in with it, I learned my lesson with Amtrol, they warranty the tank, then check it, say its not their fault and reneg the exchange, and a $1100 tank appears on my bill, that I gave to the customer under warranty, that sucks...

If the exchange doesn't work, I will call the bosch rep, because if they don't take care of it that will be the last one I ever buy, and I will switch to another brand eemax, stiebel, rheem, there is no shortage of them.... I have them out there that are older than this one, I now use the 7 gallon bosch because it has 3/4 inlet and outlet, but this is part of my "deluxe" tankless recirc kit..

I have changed parts here and there over the years, but I install a Johnson A419 control {just a fancy digital aquastat}, a Grundfos 5475 timer {dont need this on the new rinnais}, Stainless steel grundfos dielectric sweat isolation flanges, SS alpha circ {new edition}, and the Bosch ES8 tank with a couple swt checks and you have a decent recirc system. that doesn't effect the Rinnai warranty which is a plus.... The timer is wired to control the circ and the aquastat will shut it down after it gets to temp so it doesnt have to run the whole 15 minutes {normally they run 3 minutes or less}, set the alpha to lowest setting... {although all of that can be done with a up10-16} Seems to work very well, materials sound expensive but with the tank, circ, flanges, timer, digi control, ect it is under 700 depending on how much tubing you need...
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    please let me/us....

know how it plays out.... I have had no luck w/ Ariston/Bosch. ty,kcopp
  • heatpro02920
    edited May 2013
    They asked about the anode rod

I told them it was checked annually and changed twice, Ive bought about 20 of them anode rods so, no problem proving it.... they are sending a new unit... Im curious if its going to be just the tank or an entire unit, this is the first one that went bad... I have had good luck with the units themselves glass-lined tank with titanium inside, stainless steel heating element, the rods are only $9 and easy to change.. I now use the 8 gallon, actually have one in my house, they have been good units, 8 yr warranty is decent, but at their cost you can buy a 30 ga electric tank lol... I strictly use the 8 gallons now for tankless recircs {actually 7 gallons or 5 if you install horizontally} but they have 3/4 tappings, so the install makes more sense with that unit vs the smaller one, all of which have the same recovery and power consumption...
This discussion has been closed.