Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus G215 direct vent?

Solid_Fuel_Man
Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
Can a G215 be converted to direct vent?  I know the 115 can go either chimney or DV.  I'd like to not have to power vent.  Any thoughts, I've been reading the archives and there seemed to be a consensus not to do a concentric vent with the favor of space between the intake and exhaust.  All this is of course is if I can convert the 215 to DV. 

Thanks!

Taylor
Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!

Comments

• northernboiler
    northernboiler Member Posts: 55
    Unfortunately not.

The G215 models do not currently have a direct venting model or option from the factory. You would need to utilize a power venting system for the unit in lieu of a chimney.

May I suggest or recommend the Weil-McLain Ultra Oil Direct Vent Models.

We have installed a considerable number of them, ranging from the U0-3 to U0-5 models,

They work very well as long as you follow the venting instructions, very important.

Otherwise if you require a system for a greater net BTU output, I suggest a tandem system with two smaller units that are capable of direct venting.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Existing system

This is on a shared single flue with a wood fired appliance, and wanted to line the chimney so the oil has to be vented otherwise. Thanks, that is what I thought.....power vent it is.

Taylor
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    edited May 2013
    Direct vent G215/315

I have done it, how many sections, what burner, and what Primary control.

I did a 315 sealed combustion retro {the boiler was already there, and they took out the chimney because they were remodeling and switching to gas, when they found out no natural gas available}.. I modified the burner for outside intake, used Z flex and their termination kit, changed the control to pre and post purge, cleaned it real good, tuned it { changed the nozzle } got the fire good, pressures were good, we clean it every year and its never sooty, runs good, been there for 3 years now {and now there is gas on the street, but they aren't changing yet}..

I have also done 215's they work for sealed combustion, http://www.webbersupply.com/Webberpdf/section4ws_73_88.pdf , I would try it before you go power vent {yuck}, I have done it, just make sure you have a good outdoor air intake, zflex works good for vent kit {but its ugly}, and a really good tune with a clean boiler, make sure you set the post purge to clear the gasses and you will be fine...

Its one of them things, is it rite, its not in the manual but I have a 315 out there working safe and clean for over 3 years.....
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Hmmm

Interesting, it has a Riello burner (not there now don't remember what model).  I could change to pre and post purge control easily.  I believe it's 5 section without measuring, I didn't take notes on boiler specifics, I'm going to be back in that area Friday I'll measure it.  It does seem as though DV would be completely possible for this boiler just want it to be legal.

Taylor 
  • northernboiler
    northernboiler Member Posts: 55
    Spoke to Buderus

I was speaking to Buderus tech support today, on a totally unrelated matter. I brought this question up to them.

Their answer was very specific to say the least.

When they say "direct venting" they are referring to direct outside air, and more specifically the Riello BF oil burners. And more specifically, only on the G/215-3 & G/215-4 model boilers.

And to finish it off, and I quote, "the G215's are only for chimney venting, minimum recommended chimney size is 8" x 8"

(6 3/4" x 6 3/4" inside liner) or 6" diameter with a

minimum height of 20 feet."

Also, "if you use any different type of venting system, other than a UL approved "power venting" device/system, of course making sure the combustion readings are within proper limits, you will invalidate the warranty."

They also suggested that the main reason, in the tech's opinion, that they do not allow this type of setup, is because of flue gas condensation & inconsistent combustion results in this model.

So just my advice, it may work or it may not. I'm sure the application has much more to do with this type of setup operating correctly or incorrectly.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Not sure if it will be legal

I'm sure Buderus wouldn't be crazy about the idea, but I think you will know if it is safe. Like I said I got it to work, just takes a little doing to do it...

Really comes down to what you are comfortable with. Power venting is another option but not a good one either.. If you have the same results as I have in the past you will be pleased with the results, but it is a tough position to be in...

As far as legal, I'm sure it will pass inspection, but what does that mean... Its also not super cheap to get it done, the z-flex inst bad but they don't give it away, you can always go up the side of the building..
This discussion has been closed.