Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaky steam supply valve

ben_18
ben_18 Member Posts: 70
I have the recessed cast-iron convector shown on pg. 104 in "We got steam heat." The supply valve is leaking from the big nut on the union. The area under the radiator is very tight. I tried using a channel lock plier to loosen the nut but it wouldn't budge. Any suggestion on the type of wrench to use?
Burnham Independence IN8

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    Try to avoid

anything with teeth on it!  They'll mess up the nut.  A good channel lock, though, should do it OK.

However, watch out for union nuts.  The old "righty tighty lefty loosey" doesn't always apply the way you think it's going to.  If trying to turn it one way doesn't work, try the other -- sounds obvious, perhaps, and if you've already done that, sorry... but as I say, it's not always obvious which way tightens on a union when you're just looking at it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ben_18
    Still unable to

loosen the big nut on the union using a channel lock. Any other ideas?

Here's a picture of it.
    Burnham Independence IN8
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Loosening the union nut

Try to find a big open end wrench of the appropriate size at harbor freight, so you have a good grip on the nut. Use a few light hammer taps in both directions to see if it moves.

Loosening it slightly will enable you to retighten it.

If it still leaks, then taking the joint apart completely will allow you to wipe the faces clean, and put a little Dawn liquid on them to lubricate them enough to align themselves for a good seal, as you tighten up the nut.--NBC
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 645
    I have found

that a few hammer blows on the union nut itself will allow it to be freed up using a wrench.  It's best to back-up the nut on the opposite side with a heavy piece of metal, like the heel of a pipe wrench.  Don't get carried away with the hammer blows.  This method is also used to break up a cast iron fitting if it can't be loosened up with a wrench. 
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • ben_18
    Open ended wrench

Thanks!

What do you mean by open ended wrench. Is it an adjustable wrench. I don't one big enough for the nut will fit in there. Can you give me a URL of the wrench?

And do you mean regular dawn dish washing detergent?
    Burnham Independence IN8
This discussion has been closed.