Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I do not just work on steam boilers

Not my favorite thing to use PEX but I do like the Triangle Tube boiler.
Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating

Comments

• Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    edited April 2013
    Fostapex, huh?

And a manifold site-built from black iron pipe... must be an old timer. ;-)
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    did you install that

or just add the zones?
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    I installed it

The old boiler was across the basement. The Manifold is a prefabricated manifold plus one. The system is all fin tube so it is high temp on design temp days, hence the fosta pex.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Hence the FostaPEX

at high temps and I tend to agree.

At what design temp to you make the switch?  For me, it's somewhere around 150-160F, at which point Aquatherm or PEX-AL-PEX just feels safer.  I haven't put a lot of thought into it, mostly just trying to avoid ceiling spaghetti.
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    No drip tube on the backflow ?

I know how adamant you are about vented backflows and their worth if they could just save one child. Do you realize the danger if that vent opens up and hot water discharges? Will it pass inspection without a relief pipe?

Pex is hard to make look good when you transition to their end points horizontally. We try to transition up high from copper.
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    No drip tube on the backflow ?

I know how adamant you are about vented backflows and their worth if they could just save one child. Do you realize the danger if that vent opens up and hot water discharges? Will it pass inspection without a relief pipe?

Pex is hard to make look good when you transition to their end points horizontally. We try to transition up high from copper.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    BFP

The one in one million times that a BFP would leak, will not spray hot water! It will drip. Remember the system pressure versus street pressure. It is not a safety valve that will pop off at 30 psi or more! 
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Looks good to me

For an old steam head, lol....jk

We all do things differently...

I always use the same pex what's the difference?

I always pipe to the ceiling with hard pipe If I'm connecting to pex or flexible gas lines I do it in the ceiling or at the ceiling. Really get the same result I don't think it works better just how I've always done it i guess...

As far as a drip tube on the back flow I put them on just so no one asks me why I didn't lol. But they do only drip cold water when the vent so I don't know the difference would be detrimental in any way... I also had stickers made up that says "open drain" to stop me from getting them phone calls asking why I didn't connect the pipe to anything....

Also on mod cons I use all copper brass plastic no steel or cast except circs unless they want to pay for ss alphas.... Also not a huge difference just preference...

We all do things different, I'm sure if I put up a picture of a boiler I did you guys would be able to rip it apart......
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    LOL Ron figured someone would see that

There is no gas meter yet and if you look close there are no wires to or from the zone valves. I will be installing the drip tomorrow.

cell # 413-841-6726
This discussion has been closed.