Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

National Plumber Day!

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
when disaster strikes the plumbers rise to the challenge and put order into chaos. Stand proud plumbers and fitters.
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    fitter

Thank you Rod.   I would recommend any young person today to consider a career as a U.A. plumber or steamfitter, It was a great career for me.
    RJ
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Shouldnt....

Shouldn't EVERY day be National Plumber Day?
    steve
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Protecting the health of the nation...

Stand proud and tall.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Hats off to the plumbers day

You all earned it! Where would we be without yuz.

I still have to think back to the speech Mike Rowe gave to commerce.

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=mike%20rowe%20senate#/watch?v=3h_pp8CHEQ0

At least someone understands.

Gordy
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Where would we be without yuz.

I have an idea where we would be without qualified plumbers.

I had occasion to live in a house in a town so small, the government rented a room in the next town's borough hall because they could not afford a building of their own. There were two dirt roads in the town at right angles to one another. The roads had no names. The buildings were numbered. There was cold running water from the little stream that ran down the hill: no pumps, just gravity feed. The sandstone sink emptied back into the same stream. The "facilities" for the house I was in was a two-holer outsde. It would have been a 4-family house, but one of the downstairs family quarters were for farm animals; the heat the animals gave off in the winter partially heated the house.. Actually there were no stairs because the hill was steep. So even though it was two stories, all entries were at ground level because the ground came up to meet the upper doors.

I do not miss it at all.
  • Gordy
    edited April 2013
    JDB

Always love hearing those up bringing stories, or shall I better say truths...

How many BTUS is a good size steer at rest 3000?

A goat 500

Horse 2500
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    How many BTUS is a good size steer at rest 3000?

Lots of ways of looking at that.

1.) If you eat the whole thing, that is a lot of diet calories (kilo-calories), and you can convert those to BTU.

2.) If you feed a steer all the grains and other additives that they typically get in this agribusiness age, they produce lots of methane. They would not do that if they were fed on grass during the year, and hay in wintertime. But the reality is that most are not so fed. And the methane they produce is the main active ingredient in natural gas (and is something like 10x or 20x worse for the environment than CO2). So there are lots of BTUs in all that methane.

3.) If you keep the steer as a pet, it has a body temperature, perhaps around 100F, so if you kept it indoors, in a well insulated house, it would contribute to the heating. And you could, if you knew the area of the steer, calculate the BTU/hour they produce.
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    How would you control the output?

I guess you could wire an outdoor reset control to some device that would make the steer stand up, as this would expose more surface area and produce greater heat output...

Maybe we could breed steer for increased surface area relative to volume. At the extreme end of that, you could imagine a living cowhide rug.
  • Gordy
    By the pound? But a thread for another day

Keep it up, and here's to the artisans that handle human waste, and give us potable drinking bathing water. They Give us warmth, and cool atmosphere in our homes, and control water, and steam to generate power for electricity.
This discussion has been closed.