Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What's Wrong

CMadatMe
CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
The call was the pressure relief valve keeps blowing.
"The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Wrong:

PRV aside, that 1/2" flex gas connector is rather slim don't some of us think?
  • CMadatMe
    edited April 2013
    That's Not The Call Ice

But your right. Minimum 3/4" to the boiler but not the reason the relief valve is blowing. Hint: Better understand a Viessmann Vitocell 300 tank for the full answer..
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    My Guess

is the recirc line and boiler supply line are flipped? I usually put the tee for the boiler feed between the primary circ and the LLH / secondary.
  • CMadatMe
    We Have A Winner

Yes the recirc pump is piped into what is suppose to be the supply from the boiler and the exp tank is ahead of the pump. When you turn a faucet on it just feeds boiler water into the domestic hot out. Once turned off, the feed valve feeds to 12 lbs but since the Exp tank in on the outlet circ side out it cannot do it's job. Rob I'll send you a $25.00 Visa gift card to Hicksville..
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    American Universal

Most reliable Viessmann distributor on LI!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Makes sense, Im not really familiar with them tanks

Chris was this a new install?
  • CMadatMe
    Yes It Was

Brand new..Spoke on the phone with the installer a couple of times and then new something wasn't right so I drove 3hrs this morning to look at the job.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    edited April 2013
    Continuing Ed

This installer should consider taking a class in modern hydronics 101....

So where was the DHW connected?
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    something wasn't right so I drove 3hrs this morning to look at the job.

Chris and I disagree about some things.

But here I must applaud his initiative in caring enough about a homeowner whose system is not right to take so much time to make it right. And the homeowner was probably not even one of Chris's customers.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    aside from feed location

How about some proper supports but i guess that is not taught at the big v training .Even when the best stuff is installed i do believe that it has to be support properly including the gas line but i gather when installing the best boiler in the world it does not need to be .Not to be a hole but how come i never see any one installing flow chk on the feed and return of the indirect  i guess no one has ever noticed the thermal migration espically when your heating side is low temp and your domestic holds 140 water .Just stirring the pot peace and good luck clammy .ps don't take this as a poke at the big V it ain't the boilers fault it's the quality of worlmanship and mech savy .
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Chris, so did you fix it?

I run into this a lot, I go to a service call on a new system that never ran rite since day one, usually under a few weeks old if its in the winter.. That's about how long it takes these guys to give up and stop answering their phone...

But my problem is, I won't touch the systems unless the homeowner goes for repiping it start to finish. They hire a guy off of craigslist for $500 labor, he does this kindergarten hack job and they want you to fix it for $65 an hour...

That system would be a prime candidate for a repipe, I would start with the gas line {that's a mess} and I would fix the electrical too, I hate when installers have an entire wall to mount the controls and mount them 24" from the floor, why not mount it eye level so when they need service you aren't are your knees reaching over hot pipes to trouble shoot them?

I would like to see some after pics if you fixed it Chris, like a before and after... I am so sick of walking into jobs like this, it seems like these guys want to use as much of the existing stuff as possible, how hard would it be to pipe the gas line to the wall and run hard pipe rite next to the unit instead of that half **** flex pipe... It probably would have cost less...

Anyway thats my rant for the day, my employees will be glad I got that out of my system early...
  • CMadatMe
    The Original Installer

Is fixing it today. Suggested he take care of that gas line as well. Jim the DHW outlet was basically boiler water. So the unit was pretty much trying to act like a tankless heater. Doesn't work to well when the max flow rate across the HX is 6gpm and your dumping the human car wash.
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    piping

This is about the 4th picture i have seen on the wall where the expansion tank is not supported
    RJ
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Pumps

And the pump shafts should be horizontal .
    bob
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Training

Clammy, you can bet your plumbing license that this installer never took a class at the Viessmann Academy. He could have opened the installation manual. RTFI !!!
This discussion has been closed.