Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Window AC water slinger vs dry question

I know many here are against window air conditioners, in fact I am as well. When we are doing better financially I have every intention of having a few minisplits installed. I can't at this time now so I need to make due with what I've got.

I have two Sharp units (8K and 12Kbtu) and they do not have an optional drain plug. I just drilled a 7/16" hole in the 12K sharp preparing for summer as last year we kept getting sprayed by water from the fan as well as it makes me nervous as hell because its installed in our kitchen where of course there is often a lot of humidity and it runs mighty full by design.

I may modify our 8K one as well as it goes in our bedroom and my wife hates the noise it makes slinging the water at the condenser. Both units are pitched correctly per manufacturers instructions, I just don't like how they are working.

<strong>So the point of this post is, does anyone know how much of a reduction in efficiency I should expect by draining the water rather than cooling the condenser with it? </strong>
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Not sure

But I don't think the cooling effect of the condenser is taken into account as far as efficiency is concerned. It's only for getting rid of the condensate not improving eff. I don't see how such calculations could be made given all the variables
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Slinger ring

The slinger does increase efficiency vs a non- slinger ring unit. Water does  a better job to transfer of heat than just air.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    Increased efficiency

But how much does it increase it, and does it increase it in humid areas? We live in NW NJ where it can be very humid at times, I often wake up to fog in the summer. I'm assuming this is why the units often end up dumping water out all over the ground, they just cant get rid of it fast enough.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Techman
    Slinger

Some.Yes.You're right
  • unclejohn
    I'd say

Not much. If water is leaking inside the damage from the water will out way whatever increase in eff. And if it keeps momma happy.......priceless. Remember happy wife happy life.
  • Techman
    Percentage?

Flapping jaws here ,but,I'd bet it near the double digit % of savings. Some self contained refrig units have a condensate pan that is heated by the comp discharge line . With a dry pan the head press(75* room temp) runs near 120* cond temp(R12- 157psig) put water into the condensate pan and the cond temp drops to near 95-105* cond temp,depending, (R12;117-125psig)
  • Techman
    edited March 2013
    Percentage?

• unclejohn
    Techman my point

Being is that it's not measurable due to the fact that there are times when the water is in the pan and times when there is not. Same with that A/C unit. I used to always fill those drain pans up after replacing a 9watt cond motor to get the box to pull down.  I love arguing hypotheticals.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    Another thought

I've done it both ways. Drilled a hole and let it sling.

I've seen some pretty nasty looking condensers plugged up from the wet coil attracting dust going through it. They wouldn't get near as plugged with a dry condenser. I've seen them so matted that even chemical cleaning had trouble loosening. If dry, a simple rinse keeps it clean.
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    edited April 2013
    Big Difference!

The slinger ring on the condenser fan blade performs two major functions. One is to help evaporate the condensate and the other, a byproduct of the first, is to increase the efficiency of the unit.

Let's assume that our window unit is operating at "design conditions" and that we have an outdoor ambient temperature of 95 degrees (humidity is irrelevant here) and the indoor conditions are 75 degrees at 50% relative humidity.

Since our air conditioner serves two major functions (to dehumidify and cool), the latent heat removed from the system forms our condensate. The temperature of this condensate is about 50 degrees. The condensate is then directed to the back of the unit, where the slinger ring picks up the water and sprays it over the condenser coil.

By doing this, we accomplish a couple of things. First, the cool condensate water absorbs heat from the condenser coil. Second, the spraying water helps cool down the air moving through the coil. Third, as the condensate evaporates, it absorbs even more heat from the condenser coil.

So, to sum things up.... The slinger ring is there for a reason and there is absolutely no reason to drill a hole in the bottom of the unit to prevent it from doing what it is supposed to do.

Hope this helps.
    Eugene
  • ChrisJ
    edited April 2013
    Nope

Hi Eugene,

I understand this is how it is intended to work. The problem is in my experience it causes more harm than good.

Lets start with the fact that water laying in the bottom for months causes mold and bacteria to grow which usually ends up plugging up the drain on the evaporator side. This then causes water to leak down the interior wall causing significant damage. Of course an annual cleaning would solve this but how many people disassemble their window units and clean them? Yes I'll admit I could do this without concern of damaging anything but I'm lazy and don't want to. :)

The next problem for some is noise when the fan hits the water. This annoyed my wife more then me, but never the less was a problem on our bedroom unit. I'll also admit it did cause some trouble when I was trying to sleep depending on the amount of condensate it was hitting.

The third issue which in my opinion is even more minor than the noise is the fact my 12Kbtu unit was spraying people walking down our steps to the side of it.

Out of all of these, the first problem is my main reason for modifying my units. Now keep in mind the two Sharp units had to be drilled while our third LG had a removable plug. It was nice to have the option to drain it this way rather than have to modify the unit.

I know without a doubt that draining the condensate reduces efficiency. I was curious how much of an effect it typically had on a unit. It sounds like on a good hot 95-100F day it could have a pretty big effect.

Also please understand all three of my units were installed per manufacturers instructions with the correct amount of pitch confirmed for two seasons before I decided to go ahead and modify them.
  • Techman
    edited April 2013
    Slinger

ChrisJ! Is this the same ChrisJ from Strictly Steam? Take this w/ a LOL. You are killing my towel supply.A towel for the interior wall ,another bunch for all of your wet friends & neighbors and a big towel for your tears.Welcome to the world of RAC ,Room AC . Sorry my friend !. You can wash most RAC units only about 60%-40% without taking them apart. After the unit is removed from the window, and set on a platform, raise the evap section the width of a 2" x 4" and gently wash the evap coil, then do the same for the cond coil,and you did a 60% job. Can you increase the pitch of the unit? Just a little? LOL now!
  • ChrisJ
    Yep`

Same one from the steam section.

I think I should have come up with a more recognizable nickname than this. I've noticed there are other Chris' out there including I think a Chris J with a space.

Only towel I need is for my tears cause its about time to shut the boiler off. :(
This discussion has been closed.