Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam experts/contractors in lower Westchester NY for gas burner install on oil steam boiler

NYCDave
NYCDave Member Posts: 78
Hi All,

We have a 1920s colonial in lower Westchester county, NY, with an oil-fired steam boiler (one pipe) and are heating bills are sky high.  Would like to switch to Natural Gas, but if at all possible, would like to save the boiler (A 5 year old Burnham V86 steam boiler) since it's relatively new and seems to be in fine shape as far as I can tell, so hoping to find someone who could put a gas power-burner on this boiler?

Looking for someone with enough expertise but haven't managed to locate anyone, so I thought I would ask here.  The one place I called said noone had ever asked for something like this, and they could not do it because they could not warranty the boiler.  I don't need a warranty, but I do need someone who would know how to do this properly, and also know/document whether it's actually permissible.

I looked a bit into NY state codes, and they seem to say using a fuel 'not intended for the equipment' is not permitted *unless it's approved by a certified code enforcement official* so that suggests that in principle it may be possible if you can find someone to approve it...

Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated.

David

Comments

• Jason_13
    Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
    Conversion

The v8 is not suggested to be converted to gas if you look at the installation manual.
  • NYCDave
    NYCDave Member Posts: 78
    alternatives?

Thanks Jason for replying so quickly!

From what I've read here, I know Burnham in general does not look kindly on installing gas burners on its oil steam boilers, but it seems some folks think it's not a big deal, but I am a complete novice and I see you've been at this a while, so I suppose you would know. That's too bad.

If we can't convert the existing boiler, we'd probably try to install something that uses gas, but that could also use oil if the markets reverse course. Any recommendations for that?

Also, our oil tank is in the basement. Anyone know if we can just leave it there if we switch to gas?

Most importantly, need to find someone local who is good and can deal with these various issues.

Thanks again!!! Sorry if some of these questions have been covered before.

David
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    edited April 2013
    It's done all the time

It would be a shame to replace a new boiler just to switch over to gas, that boiler could have 10-15 years of life left in it. A lot of Burnhams have been successfully converted to gas but it will void the boiler warranty; that really shouldn't matter because you will save so much over the cost of a new boiler it is almost always a good move.

Smith and Slant Fin boilers are factory rated for operation on oil or gas but would pursue the conversion of your boiler. Gas power burners are a popular option with boilers like these, get a few bids on the conversion.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Gas

I'd need to check with the county, but I can offer my help. We travel your way for steam/boiler work.
  • KnaveP
    KnaveP Member Posts: 21
    Must be licensed by Westchester

Westchester will heavily fine those who are not licensed to perform professional services in the county. Go to the Westchester gov website and look for a licensed professional.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    So get the license

The price is only 50 a year per town. J if you do not get it let me know I will get one. There is a great diner in White Plains.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.