To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

A Steam Odyssey: Midco Low-NOx Burner Oil to Gas Conversion Project

2»

Comments

• BioBio Posts: 174Member ✭✭
    Very nice

Very Nice pipe work in a very tight space, No doubt, Joe sure does a great job
    · ·
  • Dave in QCADave in QCA Posts: 1,440Member ✭✭
    Very Nice Indeed!

Excellent job on correcting the piping!  How about some pictures of that new mysterious burner? I'd be very interested to know how you set it up and how you're controlling it.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
    · ·
  • ChrisJChrisJ Posts: 2,845Member ✭✭✭
    Lookin Good!

Its nice to see everything coming along good.

I do have a question regarding your king valve location though. With them in between the boiler and the header you're going to need something to keep it from pushing the water up the equalizer. I'm guessing you installed a valve on the return between the boiler and hartford loop\equalizer?
    Weil-McLain EG-40 connected to 392sqft of radiation via two 2" risers into a 3" drop header and 2" equalizer. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment Typical operating pressure 0.5 - 1.0 inch wc.

Steam system pictures updated 1/25/15.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/thetube0a3/Boiler?authkey=Gv1sRgCImUxIqv9436MQ#

Don't push the envelope, eliminate it.
    · ·
  • MarkSMarkS Posts: 464Member ✭✭✭
    Equalizer

Oops, the pic I posted was from before the equalizer valve was put in. Here's the as-installed pic.

Midco pics and video coming later today.
    JPG
    JPG
    904-Equalizer.JPG
    0B
    Links: EcoSteam | A Steam Odyssey | Odyssey 2 | Odyssey 2014 | A Steam Enthusiast's Outdoor Reset Control
    Royersford PA | 1890 one-pipe steam system | 3009 sf | 3 floors | 14 radiators | Utica SFE boiler
    Midco LNB-250 Modulating Gas Burner | EcoSteam modulating controls | 70 to 300 MBH |
    607 sf EDR connected load | Operating pressure: 0.5 oz | 4 mains, 135 ft | All Gorton vents
    · ·
  • Charlie from wmassCharlie from wmass Posts: 2,966Member ✭✭✭
    Next boiler save a valve and avoid a potential problem

if you install the king valves post header on the system supplies you do not have to worry about the equalizer being shut off and two less joints on the near boiler piping. Looks a heck of a lot better then before though.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    · ·
  • JStarJStar Posts: 2,322Member ✭✭✭
    Valves

Here's the dirty truth...the valves were not in stock the first day. All of the main take offs went together so precisely that when we had the valves the second day, we installed them at their current location. Plus, two of the same sized valves looks more symmetrical. Yeah, that's my story.
    · ·
  • vaporvacvaporvac Posts: 846Member ✭✭✭
    Quieter...but quiet?

Thank you for posting the decibels. I've been worried about the loudness of the power burners, but the  two (2) x Riello  #G400 series #C8554115 gas power burners I've ordered for the SF TR50s are rated by Riello at 66dcbls. I didn't have anything to compare that to so it looks like it shouldn't be too bad. I know the Becket oil burner was louder, but would you consider the 71dcbls to be quiet?

Fantastic job, Jstar.

Looking forward to studying the burner install.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
    · ·
  • MarkSMarkS Posts: 464Member ✭✭✭
    Quiet

Of course it's all relative but yes, I'd consider 71 db to be pretty quiet for a running motor. You could hear the Beckett running on the first floor, and feel it too. Can't hear the Midco on the first floor at all, except for the 15 second purge cycle when the blower runs at high speed. In fact, when the Midco is at low fire it's hard to tell it's running even when you're standing right next to it.
    Links: EcoSteam | A Steam Odyssey | Odyssey 2 | Odyssey 2014 | A Steam Enthusiast's Outdoor Reset Control
    Royersford PA | 1890 one-pipe steam system | 3009 sf | 3 floors | 14 radiators | Utica SFE boiler
    Midco LNB-250 Modulating Gas Burner | EcoSteam modulating controls | 70 to 300 MBH |
    607 sf EDR connected load | Operating pressure: 0.5 oz | 4 mains, 135 ft | All Gorton vents
    · ·
  • tim smithtim smith Posts: 2,103Member ✭✭✭
    Re: pics etc

Nice looking repipe, also like your uss Enterprise control panel, the only thing missing is a interstellar out of phase gyroscope. Velly special.   Btw, I had talked to Midc about using that burner in some of our boilers and or new a few months ago. I am looking forward to hear the outcome. Good show.  Tim
    · ·
2»
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!