Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Let's Try Again-TT Mini Smart

ced48
ced48 Member Posts: 469
Is it available, what is it, does it, or did it work, and how?

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    discontinued some years back

along with the SMART 20, unfortunately.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    As swei said

no longer in production... smart 30 is now the smallest TT, Burnham and lochinvar make 27's and I installed a Peerless low boy {22 gallon I believe}, I installed it in a kitchen cabinet under a Buderus GB that I installed the year before...
  • ced48
    ced48 Member Posts: 469
    Any Feelings on the HTP 20?

Also, any ideas on why they quit making the Mini? Does anyone know how TT can get the amount of hot water out of the Excellence 14 gallon indirect? Can I duplicate that kind of delivery with a free standing 20 Superstor?
  • Control issues.

I installed one and we were unable to properly regulate the temperature.  The boiler could not respond fast enough to meet demand, so the water temperature would plummet and then when it did respond, water temperatures soared.  Some water volume is necessary in order to provide stable temps.  Also, with the introduction of the Excellence with on board tank, it was no longer needed. 
    The Steam Whisperer (Formerly Boilerpro)

Chicago's Steam Heating Expert

Noisy Radiators are a Cry for Help
  • SWEI
    control design

should really use a PID loop for the DHW and not just blast away when the tank dips below setpoint.  This would allow the boiler to stay in condensing mode most of the time, but really ramp up hard and fast when demand dictates.  I'm about to test this (along with demand-based control over storage setpoint) on a PS399 feeding a SMART 120.  Hope to have some results later this summer.
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    I'm using it with a reverse indirect

Turbomax 23 (and PS60), to be exact. This is with the MCBA, for what it's worth. It works pretty much as expected, but toward the end of the cycle it will REALLY turn itself down and v-e-r-y slowly finish "topping off" the tank. I have the "setpoint over water temperature" parameter set to something low, I'll experiment with bumping it up a bit. I think, but I'm not sure, that the DHW program has a built in boost function, based upon observing it exceed the prescribed supply temperature.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    They stopped making the mini because

It didn't work that well( installed one in the shop for a while before I got rid of it) and probably the bigger reason is because Triangle sold their tankless coil division to Thermo dynamics. I believe coil sales went from 70k to 17k in one year.

The mini was not a tank in tank. It was a copper coil in a can.
  • SWEI
    Wish they still made the SMART 20

14 gallons in the PTE is small, especially with a 100k heating load.
This discussion has been closed.