Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating problem

Options
heaney72
heaney72 Member Posts: 1
Boiler running and giving out hot water but it is not flowing thru the baseboards.  Levittown ranch house which orignally had radiant floor heat.  However, now my kitchen floor is very warm, getting up to 75 - 80 degrees with a newly installed thermostat being set to 70.  System is also running every 15 - 20 minutes.  It keeps kicking on even if no water has been run.  Recently ran thru at least 1/4 tank of oil due to the system running so frequently.  Recently had heating contractor look at it and state that it is working properly.  Do I need a plumber to possibly check for a leak under my floor where it is getting hot?  Any advise or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Options
    Sounds

like a slab leak in a pipe. The problem is where the floor is hot , get ready to break up the floor there.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Options
    Does your unit have a

low water cut safety, if it does shut the water feed off and see if the pressure goes to zero after a while, it may happen fast but some radiant slab leaks are slow... Get a tech in there and Im sure they can make short work of finding the leak, that is the worse part about radiant, repairing leaks can be invasive and costly...
  • add
    add Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Good old Levittown

by carefully reading your post sounds like ,when your system was converted to baseboard, the installers took some short cuts by not eliminating all the copper in the slab floors ( like your kitchen floor, maybe done on purpose for the cozy effect ).Some pic.s lets see if you have a LWC, maybe pressure gauge is old and not accurate.Good luck.If the heating contractor was send there by your oil supplier, you may need to ask to send a more seasoned mechanic.
This discussion has been closed.