Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Return line or no return line?

hh409
hh409 Member Posts: 14
General consenses seems to be that return lines are not beneficial other than not having to bleed for trapped air. Why are some systems comfigured with a return and others not?

I just installed a 275 basement tank, the tank feeds fron the bottom,is about 6 ft from the burner inlet and the tank bottom feed is at an elevation about 4 inches lower than the burner feed. It has been run with the return line but if advisable i will convert to a one line system. The old system was a 550 inground tank about 20 feet away. Does the return line benefit more when the tank is below ground or farther away?

Thanks

Comments

• Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    No benefit at all

to having your burner run on 2 pipes . Other than you don't have to bleed the pump to prime it :)  I'll bet they connected the new tank 2 pipe because they didn't want to mess with the bypass plug in the oil burner ........

On 2 pipe you're pumping somewhere around 20 gallons an hour through the oil lines and filter and pump , and most of it goes right back to the tank . No need to put all that oil through the system and plug up the fliter and strainer alot faster ...... and also the potential of the return line leaking ..........

With the tank so close you will have no problem running it with one pipe . Even if the tank runs lower than the burner an inch or a few .

With the tank so close
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Very important..,,

If you convert back to one pipe, don't forget to remove bypass plug.
    steve
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    ditto

What Ron and Steve said. One pipe should do the trick. Two pipe used to be the norm years back.  Advantage would be a spare line should the feed line become an issue with an underground tank.
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Yes !

Forgot to mention that ! Remove the bypass plug or the pump will have a very short life .........  Unless it's a Riello ! 
This discussion has been closed.