Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

EDR for this cute little 5 tube radiator?

I just saved this one from the scrap man. One of the guys at work was renovating, and his wife decided that she wanted baseboards instead of this cute little radiator. Luckily I am known to be the guy to call before you throw anything weird away. It is currently set up for hot water, but the sweat to threaded adapters are bronze, so they should be removable to convert it over to steam, and it was in active service, so no leaks. It looks like the big 5 tube radiators I have in the rest of my home, but it is much narrower, and smaller. Any idea on the EDR of this thing. Not that I really have a need for it right now, but that is no excuse not to keep it.

Its 22 inches high, 5.5 inched deep, and 8 sections.

Pictures attached,

Thanks in advance,

Richard.
If you can't be good, at least be good at it.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    EDR

The chart in Greening Steam lists that as 2.66 sq ft per section so 8 sections works out to an EDR of 18.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Toymotorhead
    Toymotorhead Member Posts: 54
    Thank you.

Thank you sir.

Richard.
    If you can't be good, at least be good at it.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    I fat fingered the math

Eight sections at 2.66 per section means an EDR of 21.3 not 18, sorry for the error.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    edited April 2013
    wrong chart I think

Bob, I had looked at this thread a long time ago, was going to reply to the original post, and then you got the job done before me.  The number seemed right to me.  But, as the volume on the wall has slowed down with warm weather I was looking at it again and the number seemed a little high.  I double checked and kept coming up with a different number!

I am glad you referenced your work because when I checked the table in Greening Steam, it is indeed labeled "Thin-Tube Radiators"  But that isn't really what the table has.  So, I am glad to find the source of this error that frequently causes confusion when figuring EDR.   Actually, there are both large tube and small tube or thin tube radiators.  The large tube type is indeed smaller than the old column type sectional radiators, so to call them small or thin tube seems like a reasonable thing, but not when there is also another "thin-tube" radiator that is different.

In the evolution of the radiator, the Large Tube came after the column type.  The thickness of each section was still the same as the column type, 2.5" per section.  But then, at a later date, along came the very small Thin Tube radiators, also called slenderized, etc.  They are 1.75" per section and so the tubes are much smaller and closer together.  Available sizes were shorter and thinner overall as well.   Some examples of these sizes are shown in Every Darned Radiator just before you get to the convector section.  Another resource that I have found useful is a publication of ASHRAE, Chapter 55 in the 1965 Guide and Data Book, which I have attached to this post.  I find that is very accurate for almost all radiators, but of course there are some exceptions, the American Radiator Florentine flue type radiator is one that comes to mind.

Anyway, I believe that the radiator in the beginning of this post has an EDR of 2.1 sq ft/section for a total of 16.8 sq ft.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
This discussion has been closed.