Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One Rad hydronic system

Steve_210
Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
I need to create a small hot water system one Towel rail .

I am thinking 2 gallon electric water heater, 9d, PRV, Low water cut off, And smallest circulator I can find.

Only need to move Less than 1 GPM, less than 10 feet of pipe so Almost no head.

Has anybody ever done this? Can I get a circulator small enough or do I need to go primary secondary.

Need to keep this as simple as possible

Thanks

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Towel rail

They have electrically heated towell rails in the uk, so maybe they are available here. They are usually 240 volt operation.--NBC
  • Steve_210
    It's over a bathtub

So electric is out
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    micro system

Electro makes a 1.1 kW boiler.  Check out little ecocirc Vario (B&G e3-4) / (Laing E1) for a pump.
  • Steve_210
    Will do

Thanks
  • JohnHenry_2
    JohnHenry_2 Member Posts: 70
    does it have to be pumped

or would convection/gravity do the trick?
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited March 2013
    Gravity

That's the way I would try. It will work. Heck my DHW recirc line is gravity 120' round trip.

How many rails on the towel warmer? That could be a hitch.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    edited March 2013
    Open connection

A hydronic towel bar needs to be connected to a closed loop system. It will develop leaks if connected to a water heater, or open system. I'd use an electric towel bar. Runtal makes them, as do others. Maybe you could find another location?
  • Steve_210
    edited March 2013
    I would prefer

Not to try this one gravity. I know it can work well in some situations.

Towel rail was already installed when I got there, Have Air and flow tested the pipe work but they are half-inch I cannot see where they go.

Towel rail is all brass (non ferrous material)

Leaning toward the Laing E1

Electric is out

Anybody know which circulator is the quietest

Thanks again guys
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    edited March 2013
    I did it a little different...

I did a towel warmer at my sisters house, kind of unorth. type, I ran it to her DHW recric system, so it was always 120 degrees and it had domestic hot water return in it... I first put it in the supply side but had to repipe it to the return since it was cooling her hot water too much... Just talk the customer into a recric system, put the pump in the basement pipe the 3/8" up from the water heater to the towel warmer and then connect the other side to the hot water line... EZ PZ....

If you are bent on making it stand alone, I would use an electric tankless with a Grundfos up15-10b5 t {I believe that is it, is 1/2 sweat connections, bronze with a timer...} 003 is even smaller and also comes in 1/2 swt...
  • SWEI
    ecocirc is quiet

So quiet that even with the larger one, I can't tell if they're running except by grabbing them or holding up to my cheek.  Crank down the Vario knob and you'll probably get below 5 Watts. 
  • SWEI
    recirc line

is a great idea - did you use a stainless towel warmer?
  • Steve_210
    Thanks guys

I will use the ecocirc

I have used stainless towel rail before on the recirculating line And it works great.

But this is an apartment building so standalone is the only option.
This discussion has been closed.