To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Advice on heating unit

tpowls84tpowls84 Posts: 6Member
Separating the utilities on a 2 family home. Currently have a steam boiler working both floor with the thermostat on the first floor. I want to run a loop of baseboard on the second floor. And separate the hot water. It's a small area. After a heat loss calculation, I'm getting a heat loss of about 20k buts. I'm interested in a combi boiler but can't seem to find one to fit such a low btu output. Any advice would be appreicated.

• Steve WhitbeckSteve Whitbeck Posts: 669Member
    seperate systems

I would not recommend any combi water heaters. They will be more trouble and cost more in maintenance.

I would go with a small boiler and separate water heater.

Water heaters are cheap to replace and being a commercial job the indirect would not have a good warranty. Since You will not be paying the gas bill I would go with a small cast iron boiler and a standard water heater. LOW initial cost and LOW cost of maintenance.
  • tpowls84tpowls84 Posts: 6Member
    Limited space

I can barely fit a water heater in the utility room. That's the reason I considered a combi.
  • JStarJStar Posts: 2,630Member ✭✭✭

The lowest Cadet boiler is 40,000 input, or 37,000 output. For such a low heating load, you would not have enough power to supply any reasonable domestic water load, unless you installed a buffer/indirect tank with a bigger boiler, which is not the greatest for fuel efficiency. Better off going with separate heat and dhw units.
    - Joe Starosielec
    732-494-4357 ext. 2
  • SWEISWEI Posts: 5,187Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    20k space heating load

Would lead to a direct-vent gas like the RInnai Energy Saver, since there's almost nothing else that's really sized right.  I'd probably be looking at a mini-split heat pump or perhaps even an electric resistance boiler with ODR control like an  Electro or a Thermolec.  Pretty sure the Slant/Fin doesn't come that small.
  • Steve WhitbeckSteve Whitbeck Posts: 669Member
    cieling height

How much ceiling height do you have?

You could always put a 40 gallon superstor on the floor.

And build a stand to put the boiler above it.
This discussion has been closed.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!