Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressure rising to 60psi

Steve Garson_2
Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712
I had to replace a leaking expansion tank last week on a radiant heating system. I installed a new one with a 20psi charge and charged the system to 20psi. The water-feed valve was then shut off.

A few days later, I saw the pressure gauge reading of 60psi. Puzzled, I drained around 2+ quarts of water and the pressure went back down to 20psi.

Today, the pressure was high again, so I drained some more. The water temp varies from 100* to 140*.

This all seems wrong. What is happening here?

Thanks,

Steve Garson

Boston, MA
Steve from Denver, CO

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Leaks:

There's a leak from the high pressure (Potable, Street) side to the lower pressure, closed heating side somewhere. A indirect coil most likely.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Relief valve

On top of what Ice said, that relief valve shoud have never let the boiler get above 30 psi (unless it is a rare system that is rated higher). Check the relief valve as well.

Rob
  • Steve Garson_2
    Leak

That makes a lot of sense. This is my second Combicore. It is perhaps five years old. I wish my contractor installed a small boiler, instead. Any suggestions on the smallest boiler available>

Steve
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • Steve Garson_2
    Leak

That makes a lot of sense. This is my second Combicore. It is perhaps five years old. I wish my contractor installed a small boiler, instead. Any suggestions on the smallest boiler available>

Steve
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • Steve Garson_2
    No relief

Just noticed...no relief valve on heating loop. Only on potable hot water side. Unbelievable!
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • Steve Garson_2
    No relief

Just noticed...no relief valve on heating loop. Only on potable hot water side. Unbelievable!
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • Steve Garson_2
    No relief

Steve from Denver, CO
  • Steve Garson_2
    No relief

Steve from Denver, CO
  • Steve Garson_2
    No relief

Steve from Denver, CO
  • Steve Garson_2
    No relief

Steve from Denver, CO
  • Steve Garson_2
    No relief

Steve from Denver, CO
  • Steve Garson_2
    No relief

Steve from Denver, CO
This discussion has been closed.