Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heating small log cabin with radiant heat

Options
andero
andero Member Posts: 2
I would like to heat my 1000 sq ft log cabin with radiant heat. It is built on a cement slab.

Presently heated with electricity or wood stove. I have been searching on the internet on how I could switch to hot water heating system. I visited one site that used a polaris hot water heater. Then I read about mod con boilers. Now I am not sure of which way to go.

Suggestions appreciated. I live in northern minnesotal

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    First step

Is doing a heat loss on the cabin.

Do you know if the slab is insulated?

How old is the log cabin?

What condition is the chinking between the logs if this is full log construction?

The heat loss will tell you whether radiant can heat it with out supplemental heat like panel radiators. It will also tell you size output of the heat source.

If the slab is not insulated then you will need a thermal break then your tube flooring detail to be efficient.

Is this a part time use.? Mostly winter mostly summer?
  • andero
    andero Member Posts: 2
    Options
    first step

I had an energy audit done. It showed where I have to do chinking to tighten it up. I am going to live in the cabin year around. I believe the slab has insulation from what the building inspector said. The ceiling is well insulated and I dont have any vaulted ceilings just 8 ft ceilings.

I want to use propane for heating boiler or water heater. I was hoping I could use some

type of hot water radiators to replace the electric floor units. I dodnt want to get into putting tubing into the slab. Maybe I am in the wrong category. Maybe I am not talking about radiant heat when I want to use radiators
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    That's fine

Base boards are fine here.

What was the load from the audit?

You just need to calculate your baseboard to the load. Adding more drops water temps. Baseboard outputs are based on 180 degree water. Some manufactures rate outputs for different water temps.
This discussion has been closed.