Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ISH 2013

CMadatMe
CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
Gotta say those Europeans know how to put together a show. Just darn right top notch and unbelievable. Interesting things coming in time for next heating season from Viessmann here to the US. Was surprised how small the ECV's (Triangle) booth was in comparision to Viessmann and Buderus. The Viessmann booth alone was 22,000 Sqft of unbelievable technology. Didn't realize they were into building bio plants for district heating. Had a chance to visit a few while in Germany.

The definite new trend this year were CHP Boilers and Combi Boiler/Heat Pump systems to include Viessmanns new combi adaptive heat absorption/condensing boiler for GEO systems. Cuts the tubing field down by up to 30%.

I would highly recommend if you ever get a chance to go to ISH you put it on the bucket list.
"The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    CHP?

Heat engine based?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Great to see you, Chris.

The show had more exhibitors than ever but the (190,000) visitor count was were lower than expected. That had to do with the snowy weather. The locals stayed home during the worst of it but 30% were foreign visitors this time and they all got more attention that day.

All in all, still the most amazing PHC event on the planet. Think AHR times five.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    ISH Trip

Chris, did you go with the Viessmann group or Dan's tour? I saw that the snow and cold weather was making Frankfurt miserable.
  • HDE
    HDE Member Posts: 225
    edited March 2013
    Yes

Most of them are Microgen free piston type (Stirling engine).

About 30 -32 KW total heat for most, current objection is they are only 1KW electric production. Difficult to justify cost with our low energy prices. I saw at least 4 on display -Viessmann, Bosch, Navien to name a few. There are some installed and operating in Europe, the challenge for the US, besides 60 cycle AC will be the cost. Probably only valid if subsidized by utility or government.

Chris, did you ever even leave building 8?
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Viessmann Group

I went over with the Viessmann group. I was told the CHP unit goes for around 20K over there but the payback is really big. HDE, after figuring out walking outside from building was easier to get to each building I hit just about the entire show.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    a few of my favorites

no doubt Viessmann had the most unique booth. Energy stored in ice, and turning solar energy into fuel gas to be stored inn then piping network was clever.

I liker then pex with velcro wrapped around it :) And the universal fitting system where you but a blank tee or ell and slip in the connection size and type to build the exact fitting you need.

Te wood stove booth is always a favorite also.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • HDE
    HDE Member Posts: 225
    Building 9

I recognize the colored cubes. Building 9.2?

That floor is always like 90 degrees, not sure how they can work in their suits.
  • Ted_5
    Ted_5 Member Posts: 272
    ISH 2009

Last time I was able to go in 2009 Viessmann was just introducing their Micro wall hung CHP. I wish we could get them here! In 09 same with the black control that is on the Vitodens there and we are just getting it in the US this year. Shows how far behind we are here.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    huge GEO offering

from Viessmann. Could be HPs overtake boiler sales in Germany, in nour lifetime?? I notice brine is the transfer fluid of choice for systems over there.

Cruise the fireplace hall first thing in the morning before they all fire up. Less crowded also.

http://www.viessmann.com/com/content/dam/internet-global/pdf_documents/com/brochures_englisch/pr-heating_with_air_and_geothermal_heat.pdf
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.