Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

free to good home

mikedo
mikedo Member Posts: 174
with a little furnace cement i think this thing has alot of life left in it.

Comments

• heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Someone got their money's worth

Hopefully the building is still standing, I went to a service call about 8 years back and told the homeowner not to run the unit, red tagged it, unscrewed the fireomatics (all of them) and left the property, letting the customer sign the invoice that I marked "it is unsafe to let the appliance remain in service" . I recommended they go to the Home Depot and use space heaters until they could get the unit replaced.

The problem was they had a bad furnace it had been leaked on smoke pipe rotted it and the heat exchanger was one of the most damaged I ever seen from a leaking coil pan... They only called in a service call because they could see fire when they shut the base,net lights....

Well long story short I left they turned it back on and the house burnt to the ground the next night, less than 24 hours later... It turned into a huge mess because they planned to never mention my being there, and the neighbors told the fire chief that they had a heating truck their the night before..... It wasn't long before their insurance co contacted me and I faxed along my signed invoice, which no doubt if I did not have would have bit me in the **** for sure....
  • mikedo
    mikedo Member Posts: 174
    burner door

was a new home owner that bought the house. someone took the insulation out of the door. i changed the boiler the next day. if you click on the picture you can get a better view. ive never seen cast iron melt before. thankfully no one got hurt or the house didnt burn down
  • heatpro02920
    I have heard

Story's of the doors melting and people going in the basement to see the gun facing the wrong way... Remember the Utica star fires that had the tin front plate before the cast door, I have seen plenty of them in rough shape...
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    edited March 2013
    also

poor choice of burner for that American Standard Arcoleader, or Burnham-America. Carlin does not do well on those. Beckett AF in those, Arcoliner, Oakmont, etc. Chances are, the steel chamber was removed, and somebody didn't use a wetpac to build the front. Ditto on the Starfire front metal plates. What were they thinking?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Thinking:

They were thinking on the CHEAP.
  • icesailor
    100 CRD's

It also should have had an "A" tube because the standard tube gave a very long flame and would blow the back out of any chamber/ And "A" tubes sucked.
  • icesailor
    Cameras and phones:

I suggest that anyone finding a schip show like this to document it with photos when you first find it. You lucked out by making them sign a card. They tried to weasel out of your example.

A tech showed me one the other day of a boiler that had been flooded out and then piping froze up. The owner got it going and ran it without water. The tech had photos of the boiler running with the door burned through. It was a Buderus.

You can't put enough covering on your butt in this day and age.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    "A" tubes

Got that right Ice. When Ford first bought the Magic Heat boiler line, they swapped out Beckett for Carlin, and the "A" tube. The 3 tack welds would let go, and then the sooting began. They also added a baffle to the flue collector, and rotated the tankless coils mounting. You can run Hollows in the standard tube bellow .75, but still nothing like an AF with a 80 degree hollow in a short chamber. Now EZ-1 can handle more of those retro fits, but those days are pretty much gone.
  • heatpro02920
    Thinking:

I don't know, obviously costs and not longevity or safety for sure.. I am still changing them damn things, it seems RI and CT got a ton of them installed, way more than any other single unit...
This discussion has been closed.