Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Threading pipe?

What are you guys using for threading pipe? I am in the market for a new machine, I have 2 ridgid 1215's both are about 5 years old and work great but I only have 1 ridgid 300 and it is also about 5 years old, but has seen a lot of use, and has definitely paid for itself, and works like a champ, BUT I would rather move it to backup machine than wait until it breaks in the middle of a job...

I have a job coming up in the spring that is going to be about 1500ft of gas piping and would like to buy a new machine before that job starts... I can get the Ridgid 300 with all the dies, larger cutter and reamer to go to 4" for around $6000 {I paid more 5 years ago, not sure if its a sale or the price went down...}

thanks

Comments

• Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    A few years ago

I bought a ridgid 1822-I and its been awesome. Self closing chuck, self oiling, its on a set wheels it is heavy to lift but nice to pull on the wheels. I bought it to do a compressed air job that was over 6000 ft of pipe. It paid for itself and then some. I hear it's being replaced by the 535 I believe, and if the 535 works like this one than it's totally worth it.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Ridgid Power Drives:

They break?
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Threading

We have a Ridgid 200. Has to be at least 50-60 years old. The only thing that ever broke is the drive belt when we accidentally ran the machine on the jack leg of a three phase power panel. Oops! That motor was flying.
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    edited February 2013
    I bought one of these about 8-years ago....

Cheap Northern Tool threader:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200324261_200324261

Mine is this same model except does 2" as well. For some reason the new one is rated up to 1-1/2". The die head was a piece of junk. The numbers on it were stamped on a tag which was rivited to the head, it moved all around and tought to get an accurate thread size.

I left that head set on one size and bought 3- Ridgid 815A die heads, which fit right on this machine. I leave them all set on a different size, and switch the whole head to change a size. Eliminates having to do a test thread, and makes the job quicker.

I've had that cheap threader for 7 or 8 years, we are a 4-man shop and it is still going. It owes me nothing.

They also advertise a machine that threads up to 4".
  • pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    there is a machine

that fits every application perfectly, but if your looking for a machine that will do everything it's the ridgid 300. it has more attachments then any other machine, it is so versatile some times it fun to see or find out what it can do next.
This discussion has been closed.