Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Near boiler piping

Due to Sandy flooding I had to have a licensed plumber replace my boiler (submerged). It was hammering severely and I had this plumber come back. He redid the piping around the burner and the hammering went away. However, the new boiler bounces several inches in the sight glass and then drains to the point that the LWC kicks in. The burner shuts down for about a minute and once the water level rises it kicks back in. I had another licensed plumber in to do some gas work and he claims this is due to the near boiler piping and would be $1800 to correct or get the guy who did it to come back again. He said the issues he saw were the Mfr states the riser should be 2.5 inches plumber used 2 inches. Pipe used for riser is galvanized and then copper to the header. Condensate return was incorrect, it should be below the waterline which is 23 13/16 inches. I am just a homeowner and agree it does not look like the illustration. It is a williamson gsa125. I have attached some photos and the mfr piping page. Any guidance is appreciated.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Steam

That piping is unacceptable. No way around it. Unacceptable. It will cause noise, inefficiency, and a high fuel bill. Eventually, the copper will rot the boiler from the inside out.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    All Wrong

I'm afraid calling the original (clueless) installer isn't going to help. Ask him if he would please come back and do the near-boiler piping to manufacturers specs.No copper, except the return below the water line.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
    Near boiler piping

Sorry to be so blunt but that near boiler piping is really really bad. Forget about the gal pipe(BAD!), the copper pipe(BAD!) and the pipe size for a moment. The way the pipes are currently oriented there will be a buildup of water in that first horizontal pipe. The water will mix with the steam resulting in banging and higher operating costs. Think about it for a moment. When the steam leaves the boiler it carries water with it. The water needs a way to drain back to the boiler(one of the main functions of the header is to be a drain pipe). How is water in that first horizontal pipe supposed to drain back to the boiler? Is it pitched toward the boiler? If yes the which way is second horizontal pipe pitched? You almost certainly have a puddle of water in one or both of those horizontal pipes. Also the chimney is not sealed. CO is nasty. Don't take it lightly.

• RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    copper

Here we go again with copper on steam boiler supplys, another boiler destined to leak , what happened to training people on proper piping practice
    RJ
  • Zach_2
    Zach_2 Member Posts: 41
    hire someone new

I would hire someone who knows what they are doing to actually fix it.  Send the bill to the original installer and insist that he pays it.  Contact your local housing authority as this has been installed in a fashion that is likely against local ordinances.  He should have his license revoked.
  • SteamNeedy
    SteamNeedy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all

Many thanks to all who responded.  You confirmed my suspicion that it the first guy doesn't have a clue. The second plumber mentioned this to the town inspector and both indicate it is not to code.  Since this is the first guys re-do already, I don't think he will ever get it.  I think I will have the second guy redo it and claw it back from the first.  Once again I appreciate your responses.

Thanks
  • ALIGA
    ALIGA Member Posts: 194
    lets see how good the second guy is

you should ask him to install a drop header when he repipes everything and to use both boiler tappings
This discussion has been closed.