Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Varible Speed Controller For Wet Rotar Circulating Pump

Does any one make a variable speed controller for a Taco 0013 pump? I know Taco has a delta "T" pump but that is more control than I need. I am looking to fine tune the pump curve to match the system. A simple knob to turn/adjust then leave once it is adjusted.

Thanks In Advance.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    Sorry...

That pump has an induction motor.  Therefore, the only way to change the speed is to change the frequency of the current coming into it.  I suspect there are variable frequency controllers available.  I also suspect that they aren't inexpensive...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • knotgrumpy
    knotgrumpy Member Posts: 211
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    TRIAC speed control

Can work on single phase induction motors, as long as you understand the limitations.  It's not particularly efficient -- you don't save all that much energy turning them down, unlike VFD with a 3ø motor -- but it does work.  What we're talking about is in effect a smart version of a TRIAC lamp dimmer.  You have to provide full power for a couple of seconds in order to get the motor to start, then ramp down do the desired speed.  Turndown is limited in most applications, but for the special case of a circulator pump you can pulse power to the motor below that cutout, effecting near-complete control over speed.  Tekmar, Heat-Timer, Caleffi, Taco, and others do this in some of their controls.

I have a board that will do the basic "smart dimmer" function but does not handle the low speed pulsed operation.  It's not a packaged product, but it can be integrated with most any control system.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    At the risk of a stupid question...

What does that do to your power factor?  Temperature rise in the windings?  Maybe it doesn't matter on a small motor like that, but I know that bigger induction motors running on reduced voltage can have some odd little problems...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • SWEI
    It's ugly

if you put a 'scope on it.  Efficiency drops along with speed, so of course more of the input energy turns into heat.  Given that typical single-phase fractional horsepower motors start out somewhere in the 50-60% range at full speed, it's not hard to see why ECMs made their first appearance in small circulators.
  • NT3041
    NT3041 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks Everyone For All Your Input

I think a delta "T" pump looks better and better.
  • NT3041
    NT3041 Member Posts: 11
    Smart Fan Controller

I came across this controller. Thinking it might work on a circulating pump. Adjustments could be made via the dip switches.?

http://www.smokelessheat.com/Media/FurnaceDocuments/SmartFan/Nimbus.pdf
  • SWEI
    that's the board we're using

with 0-10V DDC outputs.  You can set a fixed rate with the DIP switches.
  • pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    swei

when do u use those controlers? and y? just tryin to learn
  • SWEI
    circ control

I've used them to control boiler circs on DDC systems.  They cost a fraction of the adder Taco wants for a VDT or VSF.  I'd happily pony up for an ECM, but nobody makes one with curve that really matches the TT firetube HX heat loss.
This discussion has been closed.