Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas meter

zepfan
zepfan Member Posts: 397
Does anyone know of a meter that can be placed inline to a residential gas furnace to measure the cu ft of gas that the furnace uses over a month? I installed a high efficiency furnace in my home, and for piece of mind I would like to see what the useage is compared to the old furnace. Thanks to all

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Meters:

Its called a gas meter. Just like the one on the side of the house that the gas provider uses to measure how much gas you use so they can charge you for their gas. You get one and install it in the gas line going to the boiler.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Meters:

Its called a gas meter. Just like the one on the side of the house that the gas provider uses to measure how much gas you use so they can charge you for their gas. You get one and install it in the gas line going to the boiler.
  • zepfan
    Thanks, looking for something more compact

Thanks, but if I was to install the meter that our local utility provides, I would need a lot more room.i was looking for something smaller that is available through a vendor in 1/2 fpt.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Reading gas meters

Your monthly gas bills or meter readings will NOT show accurately what your savings are. You have to compare degre days for the same period over 5 years. We had a client complain that he was not saving any gas during November compared to last year and the old equipment. I pulled out the degree days and November this year was 48.9% colder than last year. So, in fact he saved nearly 49%!
  • zepfan
    Thanks

Thanks, I am going to call the gas company today and see if I can get that.we have only lived in the house two months, and before that the house was unoccupied for 9 months, so I don't think last years would be a good comparison.
  • VictoriaEnergy
    VictoriaEnergy Member Posts: 126
    a easy option...

If you have a single stage furnace, you could get a 24V hour meter and connect it to the HUM and COM low voltage terminals.  This will give you reasonably accurate time (hence gas consumption) reading for minimal investment.

If it is a 2 stage furnace you'll have to lock it into either the low or high stage while you are testing it.
    Home Owners Please Note:

You are receiving advice from some very skilled pros completely free of charge. One of the reasons I participate is to sharpen my own troubleshooting skills. So; did we get it right? I would be grateful if you extend this courtesy back by posting the final outcome of the issue you are inquiring about. Thanks
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    clocking

Go on yahoo look up clocking a gas meter   good stuff
    RJ
This discussion has been closed.