Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What Is This Tapping For?

Customer is getting co reading of 200 ppm around this tapping at the top of an old american standard hot water boiler, he said it had a meter in it before they swapped from oil to gas. MassSave thought the CO was coming out of the hole, I think the top cleanouts on this boiler may need to be sealed with furnace cement, any thoughts?

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I think you're

on to something. Is that a burn mark on the side of the jacket? I would at least pull the top off and look for signs of leakage. Hard to tell from pic what the tapping is for. Is it suppose to be for air vent/steel exp tank?
    steve
  • Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 265
    Aquastat well

If I remember correctly, the high limit was usually mounted on top, and reverse aquastat ( or maybe operating) was mounted in coil on rear. Probably leaking between sections and and exiting thru opening. That boiler will probably last another 50 years,but a new boiler will be much more efficient.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    Looks like

it could have been for the water temperature control, Bob. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • New Boiler

Thanks Dan, the customer is going with a new boiler.

Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    Wise customer

making a grand choice! 
    Retired and loving it.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    As Dan said

Looks like the tankless coil was taken out of service, and the  control removed. That burn mark is nothing to worry about. That is an Amercan Standard Arcoliner wet base cast iron boiler. It is not efficient, and good idea to replace it, but it will outlive whatever you install in it's place.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    and the CO

probably chimney/draft problem, and the 2 doors in the front occasionally needed cement to tightly seal them.
This discussion has been closed.