Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking condensate from venter motor

Mandy
Mandy Member Posts: 3
I have a 92% efficient propane furnace. It's leaking condensate from the bottom of the venter motor where the two halves meet. Is there a seal in there that may have broken? It was just dry for five days but when it got colder outside began to leak again. We replaced the gasket seals behind the venter motor since there seemed to be evidence of leakage when we removed the vent motor. The gaskets were broken and dry, we replaced them with silicone O rings. I believe the excess water leaking out was and still is from the bottom of the motor where the two halves join. Could it be a gummed up trap or piping? Although it seems to be draining ok. The trap has all glued connections so reluctant to break all the seals. Can the trap be cleaned and flushed through by taking the venter motor off and going from the top? If the trap is even the issue. Please can you give some advice and pointers? Many thanks.

Comments

• drhvac
    drhvac Member Posts: 190
    yes

the trap could be the problem. if it is slightly restricted, water could be backing up and leaking. the colder it is outside, the more the furnace will run and make condensate. The trap and drain lines should be cleaned out anually. How old is the furnace? I'm assuming the has never been cleaned since all the fittings are glued.
  • Mandy
    Any advice?

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my post. The furnace is a KeepRite and is 14 years old. Will the trap have to be taken off to flush and clean or can it be done in place? The reason I ask, we have no experience, and where the motor attaches to the plastic housing all seems to be one piece with the trap and drain pipe. Would this housing have to be taken off to clean out the trap? Also, I'm afraid we may break the trap when we have to take the piping off the bottom of it since it is all glued then where would we be? The drainage pipe would have to be taken apart somewhere if we have to take it all off as it does a 90 degree turn. With no heat and no ability to replace the parts if that happens I guess we would have to get a contractor in and have it replaced? The drainage is a beige rigid piping. Main question.... Could we do the clean out without removing the trap and drain. Thanks so much.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Never heard

Of keeprite but most traps I've seen are easy to remove and clean. Did two yesterday. Take a closer look. Usally two or three hoses are remove and the trap comes out for cleaning. If the drain line is glued to the trap you have to cut it and use a coupling to put it back togeather, just tape the coupling don't glue or use clear plastic tubing and clamps.
  • drhvac
    I never

heard of that furnace either, but the trap shouldn't be hard to take off. The manufacturer knows it has to be cleaned and usually makes it easy to take off. The installer may have glued the pipe to it like you said, and maybe wasn't suppose too. If you have the directions to the furnace you could look that up. If it wasn't suppose to be glued, you may have to get a new trap and install it properly so that it is easily accessible in the future.
  • Mandy
    Internal trap assembly

My manual says it has an 'internal trap assembly that provides the required 4" water column, so no additional trap is required". Is this why it looks like it isn't removable? Winterising instructions for extended non-use in an unheated area ( which we don't ever do) say to undo the flue and pour down antifreeze. This is why I asked if you think it would be appropriate to flush the trap through for cleaning in this manner also with water of course, in an attempt to clean it out. We intend to put clear vinyl tubing on if possible so we can see what's going on in the future with drainage. It's the trap that I can't seem to get to that bothers me in case it's gummed up in there and so then the problem will still not be resolved. By the way my furnace is manufactured by International Comfort Products Corp. USA. But, I live in Carlisle, Ontario, Canada. Can anyone recommend a good reliable replacement furnace for when the time comes, I've heard 14 years is about the life span these days? This furnace has been nothing but a pain in the butt! Does anyone know where furnace replacement parts are available for the general public to purchase, or are they not available to the public? Thanks again, your help is much appreciated.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Try

Blowing some nitorgen or air up the drain line and then flush out with water like the instructions say.
  • drhvac
    trap

If it is internal, then you will probably have to take things apart to get to it. If your not comfortable with that, I would call a professional. As far as new  furnace, I would recommend American Satndard. They are rated #1 in consumer reports. If the furnace is installed properly and maintained, there is no reason why it shouldn't last over 20yrs.
This discussion has been closed.