Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Referral for Steam Inspector

jeffsil
jeffsil Member Posts: 3
Glad that I found this site.  It's been extremely helpful and I have learned a lot about my steam system from this and Dan's books.

I replaced an original 1947 steam boiler a couple of years back with a new Dunkirk that was installed by Sears. It's currently serviced by my oil delivery company.

My problem has been excessive clanging of the radiators during cycles and what appears to be excessive water flowing into the radiators.  As per Dan's advice, I lowered the pressure to the minimum (it was set at the maximum) and wrapped the main heatiing pipes. While I am happy to be saving oil due to the reduced pressure, I still have the clanging and water in the system.  I believe that my radiators are properly pitched.

I think it's time to find a steam expert who can evaluate my system for me and make recommendations.  I don't think my oil company has that type of expert, and would like to find a recommendation for a steam expert on Long Island.  I live in western Suffolk County.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• noisy sears install

what type of system do you have-1-pipe or 2-pipe?

while you are waiting for the steam pro, locate your main vents, usually near the boiler on the returns, as he will want to see them as soon as he arrives.

some pictures of your boiler, and radiators would be very helpful for advice from this site.--nbc
  • Jason_13
    Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
    Water level

When the boiler is steaming is the water level bouncing a lot and maybe even disappearing from the glass.
  • jeffsil
    Water Level

Thanks for your reply. The water level does bounce around a lot during the heat cycle and does get very low. Once the system is off, the water level goes back to the normal level in the glass. What do you think?
  • jeffsil
    Noise Sears Install

Thanks for your reply. I have a 1 pipe system and I think that the 1 main vent that I located is plugged. I'll submit some pictures. Thanks for your help.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    can't tell...

from here w/o a few pictures of the boiler and the piping. Could be piping, dirty/ oily water, poor pitch or a sagging main.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Is the water dirty?

Is the water in the sight glass dirty and has the boiler ever been skimmed? If oil has worked it's way into the boiler that can result in a very unstable waterline and wet steam that can lead to all sorts of interesting noises. If you have a skim tapping a nice slow skim might be in order.

You mentioned doubts about the main air valve. How long a steam main do you have and what sized pipe (outside circumference ok). With that information we can calculate how much air the main contains and know what sized air vent you should have. That main air valve may have been to small for the job from the get go, when it's replaced you want to make sure the right sized vent is installed. I doubt it's causing the noise your hearing but is costing you fuel and probably not allowing the steam to heat evenly.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
This discussion has been closed.