To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Glycol heat loss

GarfieldGarfield Posts: 26Member
How much efficiency is lost by putting 30% glycol through a boiler like a Triangle Tube Prestige?  I understand glycol is inferior at heat transfer.  After lots of googling all I found was that you may need more feet per second through the exchanger.
·

Comments

• SWEISWEI Posts: 5,002Member ✭✭✭✭
    30% glycol

Has roughly 93.5% of the specific heat that pure water does, so you need to pump about 7% more volume in order to transfer the same amount of BTUs. 
    ·
  • GarfieldGarfield Posts: 26Member
    7% more than minumum flow?

So there's really no efficiency lost as long as you pump more water through the boiler?  The 399k boiler has a minimum flow of 19 gpm at full fire so is this the number i need to use?
    ·
  • SWEISWEI Posts: 5,002Member ✭✭✭✭
    minimum flow

Would be 7% higher as well, so your 19 GPM becomes 20.3 GPM.  Is this piped with a hydraulic separator or closely spaced tees in a primary-secondary configuration?  If so (and assuming you don't have overly restrictive piping in that loop) you can usually use a 0010 or a Series 100 with the 399.
    ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!