Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Teflon tape, applied correctly.

And it wasn't leaking!
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    It's drawing outside the lines

That fiberglass insulation on the flue pipe is yet another example :)!
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Well, Jeez, Alan

He had some left over at the end of the job. You can just see the process. "Now, where can I put this?"
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Details! Details!

They said to use teflon tape, so he did.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited November 2012
    Reminds me of a story...

When my dad was young (40ish) he owned a small plumbing shop that had a retail store front. (Thank you SBA...) He hired a retired person to run the "store front" operations, which sold faucets, pipes valves, fittings etc. A customer showed up one day and said they had a leaking bathroom faucet. Ol' Roy grabbed a can of RectorSeal pipe dope, and on the outside of the can it said "Stops Leaks".

The consumer took it home, and painted his faucet with this extremely sticky pipe dope, to no avail. The consumer called my dad and complained. My dad went to his house and installed a new faucet for free...

Ol' Roy never ever sold another can of that stuff....

By the way, do you know what PTFE stands for? Plumbers Tape For EVERYTHING!

(Thanks Moby!)

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    The trouble here

Is thats the gas line.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Gas lines:

That's not the gas line. it is either the cold or hot water inlet for the tank. It is one of those "Quickee Connects" that some use to connect water heaters. I guess they are also requires in earthquake zones to allow for movement.

Some jurisdictions (Massachusetts) require a vacuum relief valve on the cold water inlet to the tank to protect against tank collapse.

Another stunning use of PTFE Tape. To some, it is like Duct Tape without the sticky side.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Of course it wont leak

A homeowner did it. Just like they screw a 1/2 inch fip adp onto a shank faucet and it doesnt leak. always amazes me!
This discussion has been closed.