Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electric Baseboard HeatThermostat

Options
i am looking for an electric baseboard heat thermostat, programmable, either 7 day or 5/2 day. All the ones I have seen are 2 wire single pole. The existing stat is two pole and I beleive that these thermostats are supposed to have a positive off position. So does a two pole programmable with a positive off exist??

thanks for the help,

Ed

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    TRIAC based stats

Typically wire into one leg of the power feeding a 240V baseboard strip.  The other leg is wired to the supply.  Since it is a series circuit, this gives the stat complete control.  Circuit protection is still on both poles.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    HoneywellAube

I believe Honeywell / Aube t-stats break both poles. They also have a nice vacation mode that can be controlled remotely.

Swei is correct that many t-stats used are single pole and the turn off the heaters just fine. There are 2 pole models out there. I prefer them
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    T-Stat.

ALWAYS use 2 pole for 240 vac stat on electric base heat.  The reasoning behind this is if the element shorts out and breaks 1 of both legs, the shorted leg will continue to heat uncontrolled.on the other leg of the 240vac.

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.