Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Metering heat

radmix
radmix Member Posts: 194
Would anyone have a suggestion on a brand of meter that can be used to separate the heating bills on a building that has a boiler with 8 zones of heat. I remember looking into this some time ago and from what i can recall you would need a device that meters flow and temp to get a BTU output for each zone.

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Why go through all that?

The same btus are available to all zones, so time would reflect load, and personal preference.Am I not thinking right?
  • Jim Godbout
    Jim Godbout Member Posts: 49
    metering

These are some what reasonable

http://www.kele.com/Catalog/07%20Flow/PDFs/380%20Series%20Catalog%20Page.pdf

Most are very pricy and can be troublesome over time.

good luck
    Jim Godbout
  • radmix
    metering

Time doesn't reflect load with weather response controls. Also Two separate temps in system, Panel radiators and slab radiant
  • Jim Godbout
    Jim Godbout Member Posts: 49
    Temp and flow can measure output

This can be done but costly
    Jim Godbout
  • Paul48
    I

guess btus per hour wouldn't apply in this case then.
  • Metering

Are all the apartments each on a single zone?

Maybe a run-time meter could be put on each zone pump. While the pump runs, the meter advances. From the combined total of meter readings, each tennants share can be computed.--NBC
  • Paul48
    Seemed Fair To Me

Regardless of the controls or emitters, the run time of each zone tells the story.
  • radmix
    Meters

If the high Temp panel  radiators run for 1 hr. and the low temp radiant runs for 1 hr. are you transferring the same amount of Buts? Plus if a zone is running when its 30* out and another zone runs when its 60* out, Both run at the same length of time I don't think it would be accurate to assume your transferring the same amount of Buts
  • Paul48
    Assumptions

The assumption would be, that the zone would run long enough to transfer enough btus to compensate for the heat loss of the area. The high temp emitters would run shorter and more frequently. The radiant would run longer initially,  and less frequently.If a zone with high temp emitters chooses to keep the zone at 90*, the time will reflect it, and so will their portion of the bill.You make the necessary btus available.They use them how they prefer, and pay accordingly.
  • Paul48
    edited November 2012
    Assumptions

duplicate
  • Heat meter

I see the Grundphos magna has a built in heat meter, and wireless as well.--NBC
  • radmix
    metering

Were zoning using zone valves with one ECM Circ.
  • heat metering

i think the runtime meters will still work, as the zone valves are energized to stay open, right?--nbc
This discussion has been closed.