Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1" pex for loop to rads

spacoli
spacoli Member Posts: 61
Can I use 1" pex for supply and return loops to my cast iron rads? I want to replace old 1 1/4" steel pipes and want to do a reverse loop when I change it out. It's roughly 100' loop around the perimeter of the house. I will branch off with 3/4" pex with 11 branches, 9 rads and 2 baseboard runs. I know I will need a new circulator, which isn't a problem, it's older and noisy. Thanks

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Is it possible?

Is it possible to rum a 1/2" supply and return to each radiator and back to a manifold near the boiler? You could have individual control of the radiators with trv's or zone valves.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • spacoli
    spacoli Member Posts: 61
    Yes

Yes I could. That was another option I was thinking about. I guess I'm just trying to keep it simple and the cost down?? I'm guessing this would be a better option for performance, efficiency and comfort? I could zone the two floors easily if I wanted. FYI... I'm using a mod/con boiler.  Thanks
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Home run

I think you will be happier with the 1/2" home runs. Trv or zone valves depending on the layout. A delta t ECM circ and primary secondary would work well with the mod/con.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.