Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Evaporator coil failure

Has anyone else been seeing a lot of evaporator coils leaking 1 to 5 years after installation? They are all R-410A and several other contractors are having the same problem. What is the cause of these failures? Acid? Thin walls?

Comments

• don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    coil failures

I have seen a lot of early coil life on home where the people burns a lot of scented candles,and all the spray that make the house smell good.

I remember when one of the leading company had many coil leaks due to enviroment they were put together in.

I have also herd that not performing a deep vaccum on that the non condensible were the cause.

Then its seem there has been time that the finn's were too tight and the expansion and contraction has gotten to them.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Failurers

of evap coils on old construction or new const ? Chinese sheetrock ?
  • zeb2000_2
    zeb2000_2 Member Posts: 9
    Evaporator coil failure

The leaking coils we are seeing are all in existing homes- No new construction or remodeling.
  • jondow
    jondow Member Posts: 1
    homeowner

My house was constructed in 2009. I have a lenox heat pump (R410) and the first evaporator failed after 2 years. The second evaporator failed after one year. The HVAC tech recommended the third evaporator get coated with electoFin to reduce corrosion. I said OK and we will see whether it helps. 
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Leakers

I myself have replaced at least 10 evaps this year. The only manufacture I know that for sure has a production issue is Goodman. They have a prossess tube on their coils right on the suction line that is a crimp only no solder. I thought that the first one I saw leaking was a fluke. But I have made at least 3 repairs to that crimp and new coils I put in I solder them before install.
This discussion has been closed.