Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recommend a circulator control?

I have three heat zone circulators, a primary circulator, and an indirect. The indirect comes directly off the primary, so when it calls I don't want the primary circ running.

What controls do you recommend to run this?

Thanks!

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    more info

What kind of boiler and zone controls?
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Definately Need Info

Some boilers can prioritize DHW and control the operation of the primary circulator and the DHW circulator.
  • Paul48
    edited November 2012
    Definately Need Info

deleted.....duplicate
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Primary/Secondary or injection.

I'm not sure what you are saying in that you don't want the primary pump to run when secondary pump calls...?  You primary is responsible in moving enough water through the boiler, and that's step #1, #2 this is your feed to all secondary pumps off the loop and/or injection.  Even if your secondary drawn off the main loop, Watch out for short cycling that will eventually kill your boiler.  The primary should be sized for providing all zones with enough flow and maintaining minimum boiler flow in GPM.

Mike T.
  • bugaboo
    bugaboo Member Posts: 14
    Boiler

The boiler is a Peerless WBV-03 with the stock Honywell control. I don't have the number offhand, but it has outdoor reset capability.

I don't have any zone controls yet. That's actually what I'm asking about.

I have plumbed the indirect according to the boiler manual, and what I have seen in for other boilers. Immediately out of the boiler the supply and return T. One outlet goes to the indirect, and the other continues as the primary loop, The return is the same.

This makes for two primary loops, one for space heating, and the other for the indirect. So, the indirect circulator is one primary, and the space heating has another. The three secondary loops all have their own circulators off the space heating primary.

The way they have this set up the space heating primary does not need to heat up during a call for domestic hot water. In the non-heating season this will save energy. It's the only reason I can see for them recommending this setup.
  • Paul48
    What

you are describing works very well on boilers that have the ability to control primary and DHW circulators. That is not what you have, and that is not what is described in the manual. The simplest way would have been to pipe it primary/secondary with indirect as a zone.Then use  something like a Taco switching relay with domestic hot water priority.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Switching control

I would use the Taco Sr504 to do the job. The challenge is how do you turn off the primary circ during dhw priority?  If you run the dhw circ power into a relay like the tekmar 004. You can connect the dhw pump to the normally open on one side of the relay and intercept the power to the primary circ on the normally closed terminal on the other side.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    edited November 2012
    Use only 504?

Could you use the 504 only and run the system pump off the ZC connection after you lift the jumper? Not sure if that would work, can't find info on what zone 4 connections do with no jumper from ZR to ZC.(I guess I could go to the shop and wire one up to experiment with)
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
This discussion has been closed.