Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New kitchen cabinets over existing baseboard heat?

sat_721
sat_721 Member Posts: 1
Hi all,

I need advice regarding a kitchen remodel and the heating situation. The plan is to extend the kitchen to take advantage of as much space as possible, but this requires placing new cabinets over existing baseboard heaters. I've looked into kickboard heat, countertop heat and relocating the copper piping in the basement to provide for floor registers in front of the cabinets. Can anyone provide insight on the most efficient and cost effective solution? Or suggest something else entirely?

I've provided a pdf showing the current kitchen layout with the location of the baseboard heaters.

Thanks!

Comments

• Kent_3
    Kent_3 Member Posts: 60
    kickspace

I say go with kickspace heaters under the cabinets.  Baseboard has a habit of getting in the way.
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    hi output BB

Personally I'm not a big fan of kickspace heaters. they're just too noisy, especially when the blower wheel gets full of dirt. Nobody ever thinks to service kickspace heaters. I would replace that area with high output baseboard to make up what you're taking out..
  • martinwilbert
    martinwilbert Member Posts: 1
    Kitchen Cabinets

i think you should call a professional and ask him how to implement your idea. What color cabinets you have installed?
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Check out

any of the Canal line from Jaga. That might fit your needs. It can be installed in the floor and should be pretty quiet.

http://www.theradiatorfactory.com/Default.aspx
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Heated countertops...

a little radiant through the counters would be nice ;)

But as far as "cost effective" goes, I think the baseboard how you have it marked out is the best bet, nothing special about it, but it will work... Other options would be radiant panels or a small hydro air unit.

I did a unit, very similar to yours, {they had a large free standing island in the center of the kitchen} I installed a small hydro coil/fan unit inside their island that had supplies on each side of the the island and a single return under the counter on the seating side of their island... It works very well, but their island was very large and their basement was finished so I couldn't get the unit in the lower level..

Other jobs I have done with unfinished basements were much easier, and consisted of a small hydro air with registers in the island base and a return going up a wall and returning through the ceiling.... Takes a little doing but the end results are nice, hydro air is a nice kitchen heat option since you can "fan on" when you are cooking and move the heat around a little... This helps on thanksgiving when you have 4 burners and 3 ovens going...
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    This is...

A dead post that someone revived by asking what color the cabinets are. I am sure this job was completed long ago and the OP long gone.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.