Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Piping on one pipe boiler

Joseph56
Joseph56 Member Posts: 9
We have a one pipe boiler system, a Parallel Flow/Up-Feed System and have had problems getting water back to the boiler fast enough.  The return water is piped back into the boiler at the same level as the boiler return pipe comes out of the boiler without much of a hartford loop only 2 inches that it comes back up to feed into the boiler.  For the right hartford loop it should be looped and tie in two inches below the water line as I have been reading.  Is the water line half way up the sight glass or is it the point where the low water cuts off.  If it is half way up the sight glass and two inches down if the boiler gets close to low water cut off the incoming water from the hartford loop where it ties into the header could be higher than the water level would that matter.

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Piping on one pipe boiler

I am having a hard time understanding your question. Could you please rephrase it and post some pictures? That will help alot.

Rob 
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    You'd probably get a better response by taking your question to the Steam section...

Just thinking out loud here...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Joseph56
    Joseph56 Member Posts: 9
    Sorry.

In the lost art of Steam Heating I have been reading and trying to understand the piping for a one pipe boiler system.  In chapter 7 it shows the Hartford loop should tie into the header 2 inches below the water line.  My question is where is the water line to measure from in the boiler so I know exactly where I should tie the Hartford loop (wet return) into the header pipe(the pipe that goes from the top of the boiler and around to the bottom of the boiler where the return condensate goes back into the boiler your main supply line branches off the top of the header).  Hope this helps I am new to this and just trying my best to understand how this all works.  Thanks for you help and please let me know if you have any other questions.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    The water line

is determined by the boiler manufacturer. What make and model do you have?
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.