Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressure Reducing Valves

This is more of a plumbing question:

I've always purchased Watts PRV's when street pressure is over 80 psi - model U5B.  They also make a model 25AUB which is about one-third the price, but I'm told that it does not flow as well as the more expensive valve.  That is, the U5B will provide more GPM.

I'd be interested to hear from those more experienced if the more expensive valve is worth the cost for normal household use.

Thanks.

Alan
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    depends on the house

If it is a basic one or two bath I have had no issues with the cheaper model. If it is high volume I go for the larger valve. when doing change outs of valves that have failed I do like with like as the time saved is worth it by not having to redo the piping.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • plumber_ted
    plumber_ted Member Posts: 3
    No problems with the 25 aub

We do a lot of work in a gated community with a private water and sewer department.  The water and sewer department is located out the back gate at the bottom of the mountain.  The homes that are across the street have approximately 160 psi incoming before the PRV.  We use the 25AUB there without too many problems.  The biggest problems that we have are the hard water and the main breaks.  Depending on who turns the water back on at the main determines how many PRV's we replace that week (If the water and sewer guys are having a bad day we do pretty good.).
  • PRV's

Thanks, guys!  That helps a lot.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
This discussion has been closed.