Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

roth vs granby

sparkie
sparkie Member Posts: 49
Hello to all,  i would like to get opinions about which is the prefered tank these days,for an indoor cellar location.  -----let the debate begin!
coachk1956

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Roth

is the only one out there, last I knew. The other two lost their UL years back. What is out there is left overs me thinks. I am still old school, and steel is an option
  • Mac_R
    Mac_R Member Posts: 117
    Roth

Only tank on the market with no fittings below the oil line.  That and dual containment.  Roth all the way.  Just make sure the person putting it in has their certification.  No certification no warranty.  
  • billtwocase
    twice certified here

Check their revised warranty. Not as good as it used to be
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Granby has the Eco - Gard

and Eco - Plus oil tanks . The bottom is double wall steel . If any oil seeps into the lower part of the tank , an indicator pops up in a tapping on top .

I agree with the others . My choice is Roth . There's zero chance of oil eating through the inner tank . Too bad there's no bottom tap though because nothing sticks to the sides of that inner tank . Not like a steel tank !
  • billtwocase
    you are talking double wall, right?

Are you referring to Dehoust, Shutz, and Roth?
  • Ron Jr._3
    Just the bottom

is double wall on these " Eco " tanks from Granby .

http://www.granbyindustries.com/en-us/products/category/residential-tanks/1

It's a great replacement tank if you have an existing 275 in a basement .
  • billtwocase
    oops, sorry Ron

I was referring to the original poster. I was pushing for the ECO tank as an outside tank here, and eliminating the required containment around the pad. It didn't fly, but that Granby ECO is a nice tank.  Granby imported Dehoust, and Shutz, I don't know who brought that here, but both disappeared for a short time leaving Roth to prevail. I am not a big fan of the top of tank connections, and we all know what happens to rubber gaskets in time that are in contact with oil. Nice tank and  theory, but give me some rigid connections.
  • Ron Jr._3
    No problemo Bill

Is it code to use double containment for outside tanks where you are ?

Sometimes we install the Eco in a tank tub . Triple containment ! But you do need a TON of room for that tub . And 2 heavy 3 by 3 reinforced slabs if there's no existing concrete . For outside tanks Roth or equivalent is my choice . A local masonry makes a reinforced slab the Roth fits on perfectly . I agree about the rubber gaskets . But for an outside tank it's not an issue . Having no bottom tap is not too much a problem either . Since nothing really sticks to the walls of a Roth , most of the crud stays suspended in the oil and gets burned eventually . That's my theory anyway :)
  • sparkie
    Hello Bill and Ron

From past conversations with you  Bill,I know you dont care for 5top of tank feed lines. I just cant help feeling its better than bottom. All it would take is some kid screwing around in the basement and use the filter for a step and snap it off. Gives me shivers to think about it

I like the compact design of the Roth and the double wall concept. What about condensation in the roth? Still an issue being poly? With the cost of oil, a lot of people are not filling their tanks because they cant afford it. Any thoughts on using a smaller tank and being able to keep it at a full level with a 100 gal drop, rather than keeping a 275 only half full?  Id be interested in hearing opinions on this!  Tanks guys!!!
  • billtwocase
    top feed

Sparkie, top feed tanks are no problem, my dislike with these tanks are the non-rigid fill and vent connections. I have found leak issues with those. In my eyes, there is room for improvement. Other than that, the tanks is good, and I wouldn't want to see tank capacities less than 250 gallons. Ron, most of the Cape, yes the Roth type tanks are becoming a requirement. My surrounding area, steel is still acceptable, but for at least 15 years, a containment pad for outside above ground tanks have been code.
  • Ron Jr._3
    Great point

about someone using the bottom feed as a step . We use a swing joint and keep the valve and piping underneath the tank . No problem when you use 10 inch legs .

Condensation is definitely an issue . I'm notorious for running my Roth to near empty all the time . The 2nd year in I had about 20 gallons of ooze in the bottom of the tank . Not sure if it was from condensation or contaminated oil . It's an outside tank and the sun hits it a few hours a day . The saving grace was the ease to clean the tank out . Since then ( about 4 or 5 years ago ) I haven't had any build up . Been using an additive from Beckett since the tank cleaning and I won't stop now  :)
  • sparkie
    Ron

If you keep all piping under the tank, do you put the filter there as well?  I was wondering about ease of servicing. What type of filters do you put on? I recently got rid of my fulflo (which in my opinion is 2nd rate) and installed a garber spin on. Quick and easy!
    Mushette74
  • Ron Jr._3
    edited March 2012
    Sorry for the delay

We install all our oil filters at the units . People pile too much crap around the oil tank and shutoff valve . We switched to spin ons with vacuum gauges a while ago . Much better than the old cartridge style . Put one on my system and cut the tuneups down from twice a year to once every 2 years .

This steamer we ran the line overheat about 20 feet and connected it to the bottom of the tank . After bleeding it out it ran with 0 vacuum .
  • Mac_R
    Mac_R Member Posts: 117
    Roth advantage over steal tanks.

One thing about Roth tanks is the plastic.  If you install it out of the reach of sunlight and you don't go poking the tank with sharp things, theatrically the tank will last forever.  It is a non reactive tank.  Sludge will not eat it.  Steal tanks will always need to be replaced before a Roth.  Because even if the steal tank has a double bottom.  The sludge will eat the first bottom then you are no better off than you were with a single walled tank.  The nice thing about having a double bottom is you don't get oil on the floor.  But you still need to replace the tank.  Why spend the extra money on nothing but fancy spill protection.  A good containment system will do the same job.  They have those new tank tubs.  Get a single walled tank and a tank tub.  Or spend the money and get a Roth.  You get double walled protection and a tank that will last a lot longer.  We have a Roth in or office.  It has been in for three years and I have had no problems with the caps coming loose.  You need to use the tool they make to tighten them down.  No to tight.  Just a little over hand tight.  
This discussion has been closed.