Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressuretrol failure?

Gasper
Gasper Member Posts: 148
Do pressuretrols fail very often, on smaller residential boilers?   

Comments

• crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Yes

I read about them failing all the time.  Usually they fail because the pigtail or the boiler tapping is plugged.  But they also fail to On and Off where you set them.  It appears that they work best when set to the middle of their limits.  If their middle is what your system wants then thats great, but otherwise, tough luck.  I retired mine recently, and installed a 0-16 oz vaporstat set to cut off at 8 oz.  Even 8 oz is too much for my system.  Hi Pat!  Your re-pipe is working great!  The house is 70 F from top to bottom.  Ann Arbor Ken
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Not for me

It is usually the pigtail or the nipple that is threaded into the boiler being clogged.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • presuretrol problems

yes the pigtail can become clogged after a year's inattention; but i think the design is flawed in such a way as to fail when adjusted too low. some of the linkage becomes unhitched and then the pressure can gallop out of bounds. there seems to be no fail-safe, and that's why "they suck so badly" [in the words of others]. they are really only useful for keeping the installation manual open to the right page while you are installing a vaporstat!--nbc
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Pat, your email said

the guy has replaced 3 p-trols in 2 years.  He is either unlucky, has electrical problems, or he just wore them out.  
  • Gasper
    late response

Ken how is this for a late response......we rarely see them go bad.  But some troublesome jobs have us searching anywhere and everywhere for "mystery" problems.  The few that have gone bad are usually connected to a pigtail that is 100% jammed with crap.  How are your gas bills doing compared to before the repipe?
  • Gasper
    late response

Ken how is this for a late response......we rarely see them go bad.  But some troublesome jobs have us searching anywhere and everywhere for "mystery" problems.  The few that have gone bad are usually connected to a pigtail that is 100% jammed with crap.  How are your gas bills doing compared to before the repipe?
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    we replaced one the other day,

it 'stuck' closed and the system built up enough pressure steam started blowing out of every old valves handle stem packing..we replaced it with a vaporstat..it seemed to work once it was 'rattled'' but we no longer had any faith in it..pigtail was perfectly clear..it was probably about a twenty year old pressuretrol tho..so it was probably just time..how many times can a spring, spring before losing some of its strength..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

This discussion has been closed.