Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pres

Mancave
Mancave Member Posts: 5
Any Pros or Cons about Pouring a thin slab over an existing slab for in floor radiant heat? And any input about fastening pex to concrete! Could use some HELP on this one my friends.tkx Mancave...

Comments

• Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395
    Insulation?

Is the existing slab insulated?
    Al Corelli, NY

914-804-2234
  • joseph annon
    joseph annon Member Posts: 53
    Anchoring pex to floor

On a remodel we drilled anchors into old floor and set anchors use single hole galvanized clamps every couple of feet. I don't remember how thick the finish slab was but not much more 2 inches. No problems with floor.
    JMMA
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    If you are going to go to that kind of trouble....

Maybe you should consider using WarmBoard R panel. It was designed with retrofit in mind, and will give a small thermal break between the existing slab and the new heat emitting panel.

It will also perform well with much lower water temperatures than will gypcrete or concrete.

Getting some kind of thermal break between the old slab and the new emitter is critical to overall efficiency, especially if the existing slab is without insulation.

Alternately, consider radiant ceilings using the same R panel. When it is on, the floor is NOT cold.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Mancave
    Radiant in concrete

Yes it is!
  • Mancave
    Radiant in concrete

Yes it is!
  • Mancave
    Radiant in concrete

Tkx i will pass that on !
  • Tim P._3
    Tim P._3 Member Posts: 50
    Why not use WWM

If you are going to pour over the existing, why now lay down some welded wire mesh (preferably the mats, not the rolled stuff) to use as a grid for fastening the pex.

I'm not sure what steel mats are costing these days, so it may not be feasible.

Otherwise I would be thinking about something using a powder actuated fastener.  Or maybe Viega snap panels.. or warmboard as mentioned earlier.
This discussion has been closed.