Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to properly install a second pressure gauge

04090 Member Posts: 142
I bought a new 0-15 PSI pressure gauge and have a question about installing it. 

There's a 3/4" "T" with a plugged end that's an ideal location, about 12" above the waterline and on the fittings that lead to dual pressuretrols.  Should I connect it directly to the "T" with a bushing, use a pigtail inbetween or something else? 

The original on on the boiler is mounted on it's face just above the waterline and won't readily yeild to removal.  Last thing I want to do at this time of year is force it, and iIt's useless with readings from -5 to 25. 

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Second Gauge

Hi- I attached a couple of photos below that maybe of help to you. The gauge needs to have a pigtail between it and the boiler to protect it from live steam. You also need to leave your 0-30 PSi gauge in place as it is required by code/insurance regs.

- Rod
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Use a pigtail

Unless that new gauge is labeled as having an internal syphon, it has to be mounted on a pigtail and fill that pigtails trap with water before putting the new gauge on top of it.

BTW since we want a steam boiler to run at very low pressure many folks use an auxiliary 0-3PSI gauge so they can see exactly whats going on; 1 or 2PSI is hard to judge on a 15 or 30PSI gauge face.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    04090 Member Posts: 142
    It is

It is an internal syphon.  Can it be mounted with a brass angle pigtail, or does it need to be connected only with a 3/4" to 1/4" bushing?

I would prefer to install it with the pigtail but don't know if it will retain accuracy.
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Pressure gauge

I would put it on a pigtail as it gives it extra protection. i don't see that that would affect the operation.

- Rod
This discussion has been closed.