Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any one know where to buy parts for old boilers?

pasq
pasq Member Posts: 17
I need a gas valve for an old columbia burner.  It is a white rodgers gas valve.  No one seems to be able to cross reference the one I have.  Thanks in advance

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    What is the number

of the gas valve, its voltage and size 3/4, 1/2 etc. Does it have a thermocouple, mercury pilot, bi-metal pilot?
  • pasq
    edited December 2011
    24v mercurey pilot

24v mercurey pilot 1/2"
  • Tim McElwain
    What is the number of

the gas valve from White Rodgers?

Many times you can use an White Rodgers Cycle Pilot system as a retrofit, the catalog number from White Rodgers is under 21D18-3 which is a 3/4" x 3/4" gas valve which handles up to 335,000 BTU's.
  • pasq
    white rodgers valve

model 25g53 type 454 size 1/2"

burner columbia FTG 30
  • Tim McElwain
    Do you have access to

a White Rodgers catalog? If not go to any heating supply outlet and ask for Cycle Pilot Retrofit Kit 21D18-3.
  • pasq
    Don't have access to catalog

I have gone to heating supply warehouse.  They say that the valve became obsolete 12/08.  So this retrofit should fit?  How long to do the work? Thanks for the help!
  • pasq
    Just looked at valve again

Just looked at valve again says 25v  60cy .58 amps 1/2 psi.     will that retrofit still work?
  • Tim McElwain
    Yes that retrofit will work

as long as the installer is experienced in doing this type of thing. It is about a 2 hour job complete along with removing the pilot and cleaning the pilot and installing the relight kit, mercury sensor and the gas valve, plus the wiring required. You are replacing one mercury pilot systems with another. If one supply house does not have the retrofit try another one or get in touch with White Rodgers at Whole Sale Order Department 314-577-5252
  • pasq
    white rodgers # disconnected

Tim do you have another number by any chance?  Thanks
  • Tim McElwain
    Try

314-553-3600 or FAX 314-553-3650. Or contact Dennis Snow at dennis.snow@white-rodgers.com
  • pasq
    still having problems

I've called white rodgers they say they don't have a cross reference for the valve. I have  called columbia the maker of the burner and  boiler and they gave me a honeywell part # that the installers say won't work.  I've had more than one installer over and no one thinks it can be fixed.  They all want to replace the boiler for $4k.  The gas company said they could do it for $900.  The gas co is the most expensive route to go for service and they won't guarentee anything.   I've given the installers the retrofit kit part number but they tell me it won't work.  I'm not sure they know how to fix it.  They go to the local supply houses and get told there is nothing to replace that valve with. 

Any suggestions?
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Honeywell replacement

What is the part number of the Honeywell valve that Columbia recommended as a replacement?

If you can retrofit a modern Honeywell valve with standing pilot and thermocouple, you would probably be better off, provided you can find someone qualified to do the conversion.
  • pasq
    honeywell

VR8300A4516
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    VR8300

That's the latest style standing pilot valve, used in modern equipment, but it is not a direct replacement. You would have to change the pilot burner and replace it with a Honeywell pilot burner and thermocouple. But once you did the conversion you would have a boiler that any technician could repair for years to come with commonly available parts.

Who knows how long White Rodgers will continue to make the mercury pilot parts. If you are going to spend the money to fix your boiler, I think you are better off spending it upgrading to the Honeywell valve and have a trouble free, easily repaired burner system.

Where are you located? Maybe Tim can recommend someone familiar with the conversion near you.
  • Tim McElwain
    Have your

contractor install the Honeywell VR8300A gas valve and change the pilot to a thermocouple. Make sure the contractor knows how to do a pilot safety turn-down test when completed. I would also have them check the gas pressure inlet and outlet and also clock the burner to insure correct input. If the contractor is vague about how to do this have him call me at 401-437-0557 and I will walk him through the process.

What is your location?
  • pasq
    edited January 2012
    Bridgeport,   CT  If you know anyone in the area I would appreciate it.  I feel like everyone I've showed this to doesn't know how to fix it.   Or maybe they just don't want to fix it.
  • Tim McElwain
    It is sometimes difficult

to find people who are service oriented. Contact your local gas company for some assitance perhaps they have someone in your area that they know who can handle this for you.
  • MattH
    MattH Member Posts: 1
    Need Thermocouple that fits the 25G53 Whites and Rogers Gas valve

I need thermocouple that fits the 25G53 Whites and Rogers Gas valve, any idea if they still make it and where I can get it.

It has 3 or 4 prongs on it that fit into the gas valve like a plug into a socket and then it has the thermocouple to on side and a red switch to press to relight the pilot.

I just put it all back together and got the pilot to light and stay on so I don't want to pull it apart again yet to look at part #. About 3rd or 4th time I lost my pilot light this winter.

Thanks

Matt
  • Tim McElwain
    That is not a

thermocouple it is a mercury pilot system. The fact that you get it to work and then it fails tells me the three prong switch/plug in and the mercury sensor are probably okay. You need to have someone pull the pilot ( a professional) and clean the orifice before you invest any money for parts. What are the numbers on the plug in part itself? White Rodgers still has some of those listed in their catalog. Get me the number and I may be able to cross reference it for you.
  • Pughie1
    Pughie1 Member Posts: 135
    Resistor

Tim,

Wasn't there a resistor you could mount under the auto pilot to bypass a troublesome pressure switch internally in the valve? Wonder if thats whats going on.

John Pughe
  • Tim McElwain
    Yes there was

such a resistor. The reason for the resistor was a faulty pressure switch on the valves right from the factory. So without the resistor it would have never worked, This is not the same White Rodgers gas valve series it is older than that Cycle Pilot series. We never allowed the resistor to be used here in RI as we found if the system was rapid cycled such as turning the power switch of and on the equipment would delay on ignition. All the resistor really was is a resistive "jumper" it was really unsafe. We had White Rodgers send us all new valves with a beefed up pressure switch rather than use the resistors
This discussion has been closed.