Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

swap gas for oil with replacement core?

First, let me say that this is my first post, and I have learned a great deal - while often being entertained as well - reading the Wall.

I have a 100 year old house with single pipe steam.  In 2003 I had the original boiler replaced with a Burnham V8 boiler, which now leaks.  Burnham will give me a new Megasteam core as a warranty replacement (I am responsible for labor, of course).  But I want to switch to gas.  If my plumber will do it, why wouldn't I want to install with a Carlin EZ gas burner?  Burnham will only give me less than 2 year balance of warranty on the new core anyway...  My alternatives are to take the discounted Burnham Independence boiler that the gas company will sell me as part of a conversion, which I am wary of, or buy an Smith gas boiler.

BTW, I need to hang a small hydronic zone off the boiler and also want to install an indirect water heater.  Also, must move the vent from bad chimney to power vent. All doable?

Comments

• ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    swap gas for oil

yes its doable i would go with the smith only because it is rated from factory to take a power burner as to power venting it should work big thing is to size the boiler correctly the gas company bases the replacement on whats there they dont measure the radiators to find out what the connected load is are you in waltham ma
  • Craig_in_Waltham
    Craig_in_Waltham Member Posts: 2
    sizing the boiler?

Yes, I'm in Waltham MA.  Any suggestions for people that can do this kind of job correctly?

I have measured radiators, counted sections, all that stuff (and I have given this info to contractors so they don't have to do it).  And I can calculate BTUs for the hydronic zone.  Do I need to upsize for the indirect water heater as well?  I assume it will be configured so that if the DHW is calling for heat, then the hydronic circulator will get shut off.
  • Tim_Hodgson
    Tim_Hodgson Member Posts: 60
    You can do everything you want

The burner, power venter, indirect water heater and hydronic zone can all work well together with your boiler. It sounds like you have a good grasp of the concepts. It really comes down to sizing and zone priority. If the current boiler is over-sized, you can operate all three zones at once. If not you will have to prioritize the zones. Just remember the boiler will be hot 12 months a year for hot water use. I would recommend a time clock to break that circuit during the middle of the day.

I would definitely get help from a professional, who has done this before.

Good luck,

Tim
This discussion has been closed.