Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Governale SunRad radiators

Steve_210
Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
I am planning to use Sun Rad radiators on 2 pipe steam. I have used them many times on 1 pipe, with no problems. But with a full size 1 1/4" valve there is no way for water to get trapped. My concern is, condensate getting trapped in the leg of the Sun Rad and causing water hammer. Especially as 1 of the steam supplies is going to be downfeed of the radiator.

Has anybody used the SunRad on 2 pipe steam? Or should I just stick to GovFree, where I know the condensate can be fully drained. I have no access to the boiler or control over the steam pressure, this is a standard 2 pipe system with steam traps, not a vapor system.

another question; Does anybody still make ecentric bushings? I have often seen them on old radiators, but never used them. As the radiators are small I do not have the room for ecentric couplings.

Comments

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    eccentric bushings

After a 2 year search, I can attest that no one is currently making an eccentric bushing.  Anvil pipe manufactures eccentric couplings.

If you have a radiator with a steam entering at the top and condensate out at the bottom, you don't need to worry about eccentric fittings, it will work find even with a puddle of condensate at the bottom and it will not hammer.  However, if the steam enters through at the bottom via a valve that is larger than the 1/2 outlet, which is bushed, the water line will end up being higher than the outlet.  The water will try to exit the supply valve.  If the valve is large enough it will work like a one pipe set up and trap will only provide venting, but if it is not, you'll probably wind up with hammering and poor performance.  I would definitely opt for a rad with the supply at the top unless you can figure out how to get an eccentric coupling fit into the space you have.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Steve_210
    edited January 2012
    With The gov ray

There are only bottom tappings. Has anybody used them on 2 pipe
  • Steve_210
    Used Gov free

Thanks anyway
This discussion has been closed.