Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fireplace insert

Mpj
Mpj Member Posts: 109
Hello All,

I am doing my first natural gas fireplace inside an existing "wood" fireplace. I am looking for some insight on installation. I am running a 3/4" gas pipe (black) from the basement into the clean out box and up to the fire box. I will have a gas shut-off valve in the basement and one in the fire box (toward the front). I think the insert comes with a clamp that goes on the damper to keep it open slightly at all times.

The questions I have are, do I need a special gas valve in the fire box? Do I connect the logs with the gas flex supplied with unit? Is it OK to run the piping in old ash pit flue?

Is there any other thing I should be aware off? The company who sold the insert will be doing the installation of the logs.

Thanks,

MPJ

Comments

• Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    ???

Are you talking gas hogs, I mean logs?  I assume you are since you mentioned a damper clip. I've never installed a gas log but worked on many and there needed to be a shutoff within 4' of the fireplace. I've always seen the floor or wall Dante valves used and never anything inside of the firebox. You may need an inspection of the new gas line in your area too.
  • Slimpickins
    ???

Are you talking gas hogs, I mean logs?  I assume you are since you mentioned a damper clip. I've never installed a gas log but worked on many and there needed to be a shutoff within 4' of the fireplace. I've always seen the floor or wall Dante valves used and never anything inside of the firebox. You may need an inspection of the new gas line in your area too.
  • Mpj
    insert

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me what a Dante valve is? I have never heard of one.

Thanks
  • Slimpickins
    valvesI

I think Jones-Stephens make them too but I'm familiar with the Dante. Here ya go, http://danteproducts.com/combo_packs.html
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    some

area's require you to remove the clean out door on the chimney so you cannot have gas build up in side the chimney also...
  • Mpj
    insert

Thanks again,

I will speak to the inspector prior to the start.

I guess my biggest problem will be bringing up the gas pipe if I cannot  bring it up through the clean out door.
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,034
    edited December 2011
    installing gas logs

You must have an NFPA Level II inspection performed on the fireplace and chimney first and any defects corrected to bring the fireplace back as  a "working" woodburning fireplace first. Next, review the mfrs. requirements. The damper must be removed or blocked open per the listing, which is based upon BTU input. Note this is not a minimal opening but really should be wide open. People remember to open dampers when burning wood but not gas. Esp. a problem if it has a remote--no one is going to open a damper then sit down and hit the remote. The listing requires a "minimum permanent net free area" of x amt., plus the damper must be wide open when burning. If ventfree logs, first check your codes because some don't allow them and those that do are VERY restrictive. If you live in a northern climate with reasonable tight home you cannot install them. You must size them to the room and provide makeup air per the code. Also check clearances to combustible mantel. May require a big ugly hood installed at the lintel.

The gas piping is allowed a shutoff remote from the fireplace under rhe IFGC if the shutoff serves only this appliance, is labeled so, and is "readily accessible". Why would you put a shutoff in front where it will get melted? Bring the gas up the ash pit to a listed shutoff then stainless flex connector to the appliance valve. Keep the burner as far back into the firebox as possible. Too far front will spill into the room. After leak test and testing safety pilot, conduct combustion analysis for spillage. Install a low level unlisted CO monitor outside bedrooms. On vented doors, you may want to install glass doors to minimize air movement when not burning but doors must be open fullly when burning. Install a stainless chimney cap with mesh to keep out rain and critters. Failure to do so may result in damages from an animal entering past the open damper and trashing the house.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.