Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett transformer keeps burning out

kenyoung
kenyoung Member Posts: 1
I have a Beckett model AF oil burner I have gone through 2 transformers and I have no spark again.Which means another transformer is gone does anyone know what to check for and what is the reason i keep burning them out????  Thank you Ken

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Transformer or

electronic igniter ? What brand  were the  replacement  xformers?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Transformers/Igniters:

If it is an electronic ignitor, it may have a polarity issue. The hot wires should be all connected and make sure that there is no neutral wire, usually white, should have no power on it. It is a job for a tech type service person.

Some "Transformers" have only black wires and either can be the hot wire. Ingiters have a black and a white, The black is the hot, the white is the neutral.

Crossed polarity on gas/electronic equipment can give you fits.

Put a "Tick Tracer" on the hot and neutral. See is you get a signal. Check all wire nut connections. If you have a loose neutral, it will screw up the voltage. On most burners with electronic equipment, you can't get all the neutrals on one wire nut. So, I always split them, with the most important neutrals on the first nut. Check all the connections. A

Check them ALL.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Agree with Ice

Old style transformers are mid-point ground. and either wire used for hot or ground does not matter. Electronic ignitors do matter. Is this a intermittent (constant) ignition system?  Electronic ignitors don't like constant duty. I would test as Ice said. What is the time span for failure, how old is the system, when was the 1st one replaced?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited December 2011
    Transformers:

Bill2K's brings up a good point.

There is  very popular burner that I am not fond of because they don't like to have interrupted ignition. Where I work, the wind is notiously high and these burners have fits when they don't have constant ignition in high wind conditions. Electronic ignitors are all the rage. When iron transformers are replaced with electronic ignitors, they have a shorter life. They are supposed to either work or not. I have found them, in between. Nuisance lock outs which stopped when I replaced the ignitor.

Polarity is still an issue.
This discussion has been closed.